Newbie Chain & Cassette question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

croyde

It has been over 15 years since I last had a brand new bike so just a question about the chain and cassette etc.

I have a Giant M1 hybrid bought off eBay a couple of weeks ago and I have done about 120 miles on it. I adjusted the gears and they generally seemed ok although the bike has seen a lot of use.

After a 60 mile ride it was pretty noisy at the back so I took it for a service at a LBS.

They said that the chain and rear cassette were knackered and that it would need new gear cables as well.

So there was I thinking that it would be like a brand new bike and I took it on a 25 mile run this morning and it's worse than before the service.

The last 3 gears at the top are very noisy, sounds like they are about to change up or down, and the bike changed gear on it's own several times.

Should a new transmission be virtually noise free?

I did take it back to the dealer before the ride as I was unhappy and they made a few adjustments, but obviously not the right ones.

If I turn the bike upside down and go through the gears, everything seems fine but it all goes wrong when I am actually pedalling it.

Any ideas to arm me with before I return to the dealer?

Cheers.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you have new gear cables then after your ride they would have stretched a little and need a little adjustment. I would take it back to the store to get it looked at again.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Go back and stand there resolute until one of them gives in and has go on it... ask them if their own bikes are as poorly setup as this one after a whole lot of dosh has been spent on it.
It does sound that a few 'simple' adjustments and care need to be taken and it should be sorted.
Of course they should also explain that you cant use every gear and chain ring combination.
Have a read of how to setup derailleur systems yourself on the web.
Plenty of resources.
It will give you an idea as to what is happening when you shift from 1 gear to a next.

OP
OP
C

croyde

Cheers.

I understand the not using all the gears thing so that's why biggest front cog to outer cogs at back should be the quietest. N'est pas?

Top Bottom