1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie: Cycle Rack Advise?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by JtB, 3 Jun 2008.

1. JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

Hi All,
    Can anyone please recommend a cycle rack that will carry 4 bikes. The rack will be for short journeys only and the bikes don't need to be left unattended on the rack. I don't want to carry the bikes on the roof and I don't have a tow bar so by elimination I guess that leaves just the rear strap-on type. My car is an estate and my wife's is a hatch back (both Vectras), however the estate car has a rear spoiler at the top of the rear door (will that be a problem for the straps?).
    Many thanks in advance,
    Shaun.

2. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

atera strada. towbar mounted ones are generally the best.

3. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

4. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Where are you? i might just have the very thing if you have a spare twenty quid.

5. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

OP: if he's willing to sell it for £20 it's probably shoot.

6. JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

After looking at the Atera Strada, I think I'm warming more towards a tow bar rack. They seem much more robust and 'paintwork friendly'. Is there a preferred toe bar type for cycle racks? Also, is there a national toe bar fitting company someone can recommend?
    Thanks again,
    Shaun.

7. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

A toe bar, is that some sort of new fashion in foot-piercings? :angry:

seriously - er... i'm not sure whether there's a national toW bar fitting company but look through www.yell.com for your local area.
    First port of call though might be to go into a dealership of the manufacturer of your car and ask them whether they can fit one.

8. JtB

JtB Executive Rooster

:smile: must have had 'toes' on the brain for some reason.