Newbie Helmet Query .....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozthecoz

HI ,

I purchased a cheapih road helmet online, Giro Trnsfer (£30 quids worth) BUT i have been sent a more expensive mountain bike helmet, Giro XEN 2009 (£125 rrp)....

So - what to do ? What are the main differences between a monutain bike helmet and a road helmet ? Is the Giro xen ok for the road , would i be better changing it for a road one etc etc

Sorry for the newbiw Q's lol

Dave

Landslide

Rare Migrant
All helmets will provide protection up to a certain certified grade. In the UK, this is generally the relevant CE mark.
Extra money generally buys you a lighter, better ventilated helmet. Depending on your tastes, you may decide that it looks better too.

The main difference between road and MTB helmets tends to be the addition of a peak (visor) on MTB lids. The peak is normally removable.

I'd say, keep the Xen, remove the peak if you want to. It'll be fine for road cycling.

Oh, and
:rofl:

lazyfatgit

Haven't looked at these helmets, but more expensive helmets tend to be better vented and lighter. Not sure if theres a great deal of difference other than general style.

I would probably look like an ugly lump in either.

As to the morality of keeping something sent in error - that's between you and your conscience!

aJohnson

Well I'm not a guru on helmets, so I wont go into that.

... I'd ring the company up and explain. I once had a similar thing, I ordered a few deck of cards and got sent a 300 pounds dvd package, I returned it, felt good doing so.

Bigtwin

They were probably out of stock and sent you the next cheapest on the inventory.

Doubtless they would have costs the shop the same near as dammit.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
mtbhelmet.jpg
[/IMG]
roadhelmet.jpg
[/IMG]
Style difference nowadays .. and peak for MTB
vent holes about the same

lesser pronounced on rear of helmet on road as mostly .. mostly .. you are going over frontways and not backwards as you might on MTB

Tynan

Veteran
keeping something you know to have been given you in error is theft

fact

that's the law, up to you thereafter

OP
OP
O

ozthecoz

Well i dont want to cause a kerfuffle over the moralities of keeping something that is gifted So ill shut up on that avenue :ohmy:

As for the rest of the replies - Thanks again - Its a comfy helmet, it fits and it does the job so that'll ding dang do for me :biggrin:

Top Bottom