Newbie question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This was all on its own and had been neglected/ignored so thought I'd bring it back to life here for some words of advice (which I can't offer! :eek:)!

pdubs678 said:
Hello!

I'm sure u've heard this one before but i'm new to cycling and have a few questions!! I could do with some advice on buying a bike and more specifically group sets! i've been told Shimano and campagnolo do good componenets and i wondering if anyone had an opinion on which was better??

I'm aware if the diferent levels of groupsets, but i'm a bit confused as to why a £230 bike from decathlon has Shimano sora components, but a £450 Scott bike only has Shimano 2200 components (which i thought were lower quality.... i may be wrong). Is the increase in price due to the frame been so much better quality???

Any help would really appreciated!

RedBike

Lol!

Shimano and campagnolo do good componenets and i wondering if anyone had an opinion on which was better??
Personnel preference. Neither really.

why a £230 bike from decathlon has Shimano sora components, but a £450 Scott bike only has Shimano 2200 components
Frame, fork, wheels and you're paying for the brand name.

Phixion

When it comes to some brands, yes.

I've noticed after researching a hell of alot lately that Scott/Cannondale etc are wayyyy out of my price range, I can buy a Felt with better components for £400 (hybrid bike) for the equivalent on a Scott or Cannondale I need at least £100 more, £200+ when it comes to Cannondale.

Specialized are also quite cheap, the Allez Sport with full Tiagra for £600, try find a Scott or Cannondale with Tiagra groupset for that cheap!

It's similar when it comes down to Cervelo, Bianchi etc, you'll pay alot more for a bike with decent components.

Some brands just add a premium for the name IMO. Don't believe me? Browse online, search out bikes with similar specs and see how much the price varies between them.

Oldlegs

Frogs are people too.
One thing you have to watch out for on Groupsets is the names stay the same even though they are "upgraded" every few years. Current Sora is 9spd but the Decathlon might be 8 spd Sora even older. The number of cogs on the back is the givaway.

RedBike

What precisely do you mean? Are you suggesting that the better known brand names charge a premium? Do you have any evidence for this assertion?

They'd be daft not to charge a premium. I would pay more for a Colnago than I would for a Carrera. Shallow I know, but true!

If marketting is to be belived we're not paying a premium for the name we're paying for a higher quality product.

Top Bottom