Newport Transporter Bridge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spartak

Powered by M&M's
Next month I'm planning to ride from Bristol to Cardiff.

I remember about 10 years ago riding an Audax which crossed the Transporter Bridge over the river in Newport.

Does anyone here ( @Banjo ) know if it's still open?....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Yes it is open .Its run by volunteers .times and stuff are on a website.

If its not working its on ly a 5 minute ride to the normal bridge.

When you come off the old Severn bridge about half way up the hill you can take the underpass and ride down into Mathern village then go through Baileys Hay to rejoin the A48.much more pleasant.

Davos87

Guru
0B9FCE58-1761-494C-8B55-3BF39D2FC405.jpeg
Not as impressive as the real one. ^_^

Tight Git

Veteran
Actually there are two different bridges - the Tees Transporter Bridge and the Tees Newport Bridge which are a couple of miles apart. The Transporter bridge is still in use and is worth a crossing but if crossing from Middlesbrough don't take the wrong way on the far side and end up in Port Clarence...

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Yebbut, everybody knows the Middlesborough one is over the Grand Canyon now :laugh:

Alan O

Über Member
OT: Are there any paternoster lifts still operating in Europe/UK? Such a (?8 floors) lift was a highlight of my visits to my university engineering faculty building (excellent view over the Parks). I think it has been relegated/replaced.
It's been illegal to install news ones in the UK for some years now, and in December 2017 this one was described as one of the last in the UK.

I still fondly remember the paternoster we had in the lecture theatre building at Leeds University - replaced a long time ago.

Top Bottom