Next Leader of the Labour Party?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Although Corbyn has yet to resign, there will come a time when he sees it is time to go. My question is what next for the Labour Party? Will it try to go further to the left of will it head more central? What are your predictions?

I see the candidates such candidates as: Thornbury, Starmer, Long-Bailey and Phillips poking their heads above the parapet soon. I personally think that Johnson needs a character to fight him; Jess Phillips could be that person, but I am not sure she is strong enough as leader or would get Corbyn's supporters on side.

The Crofted Crest

Über Member
Thornbury, Starmer, Long-Bailey and Phillips
Three women? Sorry but I can't see Labour being progressive enough to have a female leader.

Kajjal

Veteran
Although Corbyn has yet to resign, there will come a time when he sees it is time to go. My question is what next for the Labour Party? Will it try to go further to the left of will it head more central? What are your predictions?

I see the candidates such candidates as: Thornbury, Starmer, Long-Bailey and Phillips poking their heads above the parapet soon. I personally think that Johnson needs a character to fight him; Jess Phillips could be that person, but I am not sure she is strong enough as leader or would get Corbyn's supporters on side.
The challenge for Labour is how do you fight the politics of Trump when most of the media is against you. In the past reality and real political debate with actual policies allowed Labour in. In the current instant gratification culture in society both are often in short supply.

perplexed

Legendary Member

Hard to say. I generally thought Starmer and Benn were probably the most reliable candidates, and having heard Benn speak at two or three PV rallys, his oration was the most impressive to me. He's a good speaker. Thornbury less so, but that's only my opinion.

I think Long-Bailey is a bit too close to Corbyn, and she seemed to say some odd things in interviews and I'm not sure I trust her. (From memory, it was about Labour's then position of a 2nd Ref, but from her phrasing she seemed to be going out of her way to leave room for a 2nd Ref being Labour policy but she phrased it in such a way to ring alarm bells about Remain not being on the paper).

There's a lot to like about Jess Phillips, but I don't know. Whoever lead Labour needs to drag back the 'left' of the Tory party. Will her style pull that off? I like her, but I'm not sure her time is now. Perhaps for the future? I'm a bit in two minds - not about her passion or deire to represent people, but about her being right for now.

What about Wes Streeting?

dutchguylivingintheuk

The challenge for Labour is how do you fight the politics of Trump when most of the media is against you. In the past reality and real political debate with actual policies allowed Labour in. In the current instant gratification culture in society both are often in short supply.
I don't agree at all there's no prove that most media where against him or labour in general. They had a position to be the hen with the golden eggs to appeal to voters who did'nt want the lib dem stance of revoking article 50 but did'nt want Boris/Tory stance either. Instead they choose an far left manifesto with things that scare international companies even more than no deal brexit like forced privatization, in my view that is what lead to their doom.(and that probably also why the stock markets reacted positively on the exit polls suggesting a huge tory win. )

dutchguylivingintheuk

Could the Labour party split? I can't see the hard/harder Left vs a shift towards the centre debate/debacle ever being resolved whilst the party remains intact.
Politics wise that would be the best option in terms of people knowing that they vote for. Would also be interesting to see how many mp's really support the current labour in my view far left line.

Chris S

Guru
Jess Phillips is a Labour Friend of Israel so there won't be any accusations of antisemitism.
Unfortunately she also trivialised the Arab arse-gropers in Cologne on New Year's Eve in 2018 so she may not be too popular with other women.

tom73

Veteran
The thing when Corbyn has gone the "Corbyn" machine will still have full control of the party. They have become so in-trenched and closed to anything not hard left. They are unlikely to go with out a fight and it's going to drag the party down for years. You just need to look at Corbyns reaction the idea you stay and over see changers say's it all. I'm not sure the penny has dropped that hard left talk and ideas is never a good selling point. Any centre left possible leaders are likely to as most have been to keep heads down and stay out of it. I think talk of who is next really is a smoke screen and a split in the party is just a matter of time.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Jess Phillips is one of the most divisive figures in the Labour Party. It isn't even so much her views, it is that the short history in the commons has shown her incapable of getting on with all but a small number of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom