Nhs Dentists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
As you may remember this summer due to the cost of Private dentistry.
My family and me thanks to GerryAttrick got onto a Nhs dentists list.

Well this week toothache started.Tried to ignore it,but thought if this continues it will ruin the weekend.

Telephoned dinnertime yesterday was seen 15-00 today.
I had a loose filling.
X-RAY -old filling drilled out and new filling in.

Get this no pain.And all for just over £45.

The same treatment last year to the wife ,private was over £100.

Good old NHS.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
You can't knock the NHS. I used to go private so I could have sedation but he was a total money maker and really couldn't give a toss about 'nervous' patients like myself (although that was their big advertisement).

£300 for a gold crown that I could have had for about £150. Give me NHS anytime.

Hope you're feeling ok BTW.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My brother has recently qualified, and he's very Pro NHS, and after a years' post qualification placement, got a job at the Dental Hospital - real problem cases, but he enjoy's it........

Their training is basically aligned to medical students for the first year or two, then it's off tooth extracting....and the like.... it's pretty gross though....... pig heads, folk's heads....grim......

PS he's very good at extracting teeth - the patient's don't even feel it....

snapper_37

fossyant said:
pig heads, folk's heads....grim......

Not grim at all. You'd be surprised at the numerous pig body parts that are used for training and research amoungst the medical profession. :biggrin:

fossyant

snapper_37 said:
Not grim at all. You'd be surprised at the numerous pig body parts that are used for training and research amoungst the medical profession. :sad:

I now know...... as the poor sods are close to us in "feel" :wacko:...by products of bacon though...... :biggrin:

But they do get the people upper torso's to practice on some times..... good grief, not something I could do........

snapper_37

Nor me Foss. All I know is that we have loads of 'orders' for body parts, including offal and skin and blood for trainees and research. Fairplay - I couldn't do it.

scots_lass

I had been with the same dental practice since I was sixteen (NHS). When I came back up after working down south for 10 years I signed on again, as a private patient. A few years ago, I was changed back to a NHS patient as the dentist said that he had been allocated more NHS patients and they selected 'good customers' to swap to NHS. Can't ask better than that from a practice!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My nhs dentist is a very pretty young Indian lady, who has the most beautiful eyes. I love going for a check up..:biggrin:

snapper_37

fossyant said:

Hey hey, one day they could be swapping a knackered human heart for a good pig one.!!!! I think they might have already done it TBH.

They do a lot of research into ovarian cancer and IVF stuff with pig's thingies. :wacko:

snapper_37

ianrauk said:
My nhs dentist is a very pretty young Indian lady, who has the most beautiful eyes. I love going for a check up..:wacko:

Dirty bugger! :sad:

Why do I have the old men then???? :biggrin:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Who exactly do I have to kill to get an NHS dentist?

Go on - I'm serious, give me a bloody name, and they'll be worm food by lunchtime.

fossyant

snapper_37 said:
Hey hey, one day they could be swapping a knackered human heart for a good pig one.!!!! I think they might have already done it TBH.

They do a lot of research into ovarian cancer and IVF stuff with pig's thingies. :sad:

Wooo...

I'll stick with me old pumper ta...no one is avin' it, I plan to run it into the ground.......:biggrin:..cough...splurt...ahem...........:wacko:....:sad:

I had the same dentist for years and years & followed him around the NW. He went private but frankly his charges weren't that much different to NHS. When he retired I moved to a local dentist & she then set up on her own as the practice was going totally private. I couldn't afford that then so went with her - she's an absolutely great dentist and such fun, it makes visiting her so much easier. What's more, her injections don't hurt!

Crankarm

Guru
I'm private. I've a friend whose wifey was a dental assistant for a BUPA dentist who said the NHS only pays a dentist for 60-70% of the time needed to do most dental techniques so if he/she needs more time they are completing it for free or the work is done very quickly. So best to find a good private dentist who will do a job properly.

How much do people spend on their cars, bikes or flat screen tvs and they then whinge about paying for dental work. Good dentists have had to study for a long bloody time unlike a cowboy car mechanic or spotty kid in PC World selling you your mega expensive flat screen tv or Playstation. The government part privatised the dental service years ago. If you want to keep good teeth you have to look after them. Paying £50-60 a year to have a dentist check out your teeth is not a huge sum by comparison. People have got their priorities all topsy turvy.

Top Bottom