Nice commute in the dark

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Dark when I left. Figured I wouldn't be going the long way home- through the lanes- for a while. Then, having thought that, decided to turn off and go the long way home.

It was pretty good. A bit hairy on some sections where there's lots of gravel and debris on the road- although at least I know where the gravel tends be.

At least I know I can do it.

hackbike 6

At least I know I can do it all year round.

Keith Oates

Janner
Arrived home last night and it was dark and had been for the last 10Km or so. Out here it's the roads etc, that are the porblem but the fact that many other cyclists are moving and of the hundreds I pass every day I'm just about the only one with a light, some near misses at times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graham O

The first commute of the dark nights was strangely enjoyable. Very cold rain gave me the the first "ice cream head" of the winter. But once off the main road and the rain stopped it was really good. Very little traffic as always through the lanes and I actually found the commute easier. In the light, I tend to attack hills, but in the dark I'm happy to sit back and spin up them. So I got home less sweaty and only a few minutes slower.

But it did remind me how bad my Opticube front light is. Can't wait for the dynamo to arrive.:sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No commuting this week - off with the kids. Popped out at 8pm for a hilly 10 mile circuit - I do the same route twice, very lumpy. I was enjoying the dark, so took a turn off the route up a 1 in 6 up Werneth Low, pitch black.... fantastic views over Manchester and Cheshire....(only 2 miles from my house)

My 2x Cateye 510's and Tesco torch were enough for dark damp roads - certainly not off roading, but enough light for 150 yards - certainly lit the road up !

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
My usual winter route has about 1 mile of unlit roads, the long route must have about 8miles of 'em. I'll do it from time to time this winter if there isn't likely to be ice.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
palinurus said:
Dark when I left. Figured I wouldn't be going the long way home- through the lanes- for a while. Then, having thought that, decided to turn off and go the long way home.

It was pretty good. A bit hairy on some sections where there's lots of gravel and debris on the road- although at least I know where the gravel tends be.

At least I know I can do it.

Dark !! Been dark in the mornings for me since September :smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
MrGrumpy said:
Dark !! Been dark in the mornings for me since September :smile:
Ah, those southern softies !! :biggrin:

Likewise - dark mornings for months. It was still dark when I got to work this morning, even though the clocks have gone back. Soon it'll be dark when I leave for home at night and it'll be back to riding in the darkness for the next few months.

marooncat

Thats me done two commutes now in the dark and so far the only problem I have had was getting my second foot into my toe clips tonight when I had to stop and move my pannier on one of the unlit areas so I could not see what I was doing :ohmy:

At the moment am going slower but I think that is just due to me getting up confidence in cycling in the dark.

Did almost crash into a dog walker yesterday, he was wearing dark clothes with a dark dog and I did not see him till I was nearly on top of him!!!

Top Bottom