Nicole Cooke's err luck?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

Well being an Olympic and ex World Champion, you would have thought Nicole's life would have become somewhat easier, in terms of stability.

But no. Her own team folds, which some may say was a bit of an ambitious endevour anyway, but to have your new team's main sponsor pull out only weeks away from the new season as well!

Is she under a Voodoo curse? I am sure she must be feeling that way.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Que? Link?

Skip Madness

Cycling News has it here and here.

I don't know if the team will be able to pursue the money though the courts, but it seems scandalous for Skyter to be pulling out now. How these things aren't sorted well in advance I do not know.

So that no-one misunderstands the magnitude of this, here is the slated line-up for Skyter next year who may all have to be finding themselves new teams pronto:

Charlotte Becker, Nicole Cooke, Tiffany Cromwell, Angela Hennig, Jennifer Hohl, Marlen Jöhrend, Romy Kasper, Tina Liebig, Eva Lutz, Amber Neben, Stephanie Pohl, Bianca Purath, Madeleine Sandig, Trixi Worrack

girofan

Perhaps she would be better going to over-hyped SKY, as she would be a better bet than half those recruited already by Brailsford! And more of a true Brit. also?

Skip Madness

Bump.

There may now be a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, with a few new sponsors on board. It sounds less than ideal - with a much-reduced racing programme forecast - but it's an improvement on totally disbanding the team, and a sponsor appears to want to step-up properly for the 2011 season.

For Cooke, this will probably mean riding the Tour de l'Aude in a composite British national team. That may also be her only choice for the Giro, although that's depending on whether or not the Giro organisers invite a British national team, which they don't normally do.

Of the stage races for the coming season, I'd expect the Tour de l'Aude, Ster Zeeuwsche Eilanden and Tour de l'Ardèche to offer slots to a GB national team. Beyond those I wouldn't like to say.

Keith Oates

Janner
That looks like good news for Nicole and the rest of the team riders, now we have to hope that Nicole's form has not been adversely affected by all of the uncertainty they are having!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skip Madness

The UCI have published the list of teams registered for 2010 on their website now... and the page for Noris Cycling doesn't include Nicole Cooke or Amber Neben. I've done a quick search and can't find anything about where they may be. Interestingly the HTC Columbia page has had its list cleared, which makes me wonder if there are last-minute negotiations to get the pair of them there, although I couldn't see anything about it on the HTC website, nor the websites of Cooke and Neben. Cooke recently wrote a blog post here where there was no mention of any team news.

Elsewhere, it's not all bad news. Stefan Wyman has set up a new British team called Horizon Fitness (Twitter page here) which has some excellent young names in it: Gabby Day, Alex Greenfield, Dani King, Hannah Rich, Penny Rowson, Ella Sadler-Andrews, Annie Simpson and Sarah Storey. I've no idea what kind of racing programme they'll be able to put together, but I expect we'll see them riding for GB national teams in some of the European races.

Transfers of other British riders for anyone who's interested: Lizzie Armitstead has made a well-publicised move from Lotto to Cervélo, where she will be joined by Sharon Laws; Leda Cox has retired; Emma Silversides has got a good move from Lotto to Red Sun; Catherine Hare Williamson (does anyone know if she likes to be called just Hare, just Williamson, or both?) has moved from Fenixs to the South African-based Konica team; Rebecca Jones has joined the Specialized D4W team in the US; and Sarah Reynolds has joined Moving Ladies, a team which Femke van Schleven has left.

Edit: And in case anyone missed it, Rebecca Romero has said she'd like to go for the time trials at the World Championships in Melbourne and the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

Skip Madness

The HTC page on the UCi website is back up now and no sign of Cooke or neben, so that blows that little theory out of the water. Genuinely no idea what happens next, with UCI registrations apparently complete.

Skip Madness

That's that settled then - Cooke will ride with the GB national team for this year. Which probably means a ride at the Tour de l'Aude but not the Giro.

It seems Neben will ride with Noris for the first half of the season, until the transfer period in June.

Top Bottom