England : Isle of Wight Night Ride Around The Coast 2020 (NEW PROVISIONAL DATE SEPTEMBER 4)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Is that the one we visited?

I remember cycling straight into a kerb I didn't see on the way in.

Happily, I bumped over it without falling off.

The shop was a lifesaver at the time in terms of getting some scran and washing our hands after your mechanical.
It is indeed. The only shop on the island that's open overnight. Well, it was…

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is the McDonald's still 24 hours?

At the time, we were almost spoilt for choice.

Or at least I was because I'm quite partial to a Big Mac, although the nicest things they do are the muffin breakfast burgers.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Is the McDonald's still 24 hours?

At the time, we were almost spoilt for choice.

Or at least I was because I'm quite partial to a Big Mac, although the nicest things they do are the muffin breakfast burgers.
McD are now doing take-out only.

colly

Re member eR
I've not been on the site much of late, also not been on the bike either. But, in the unlikely event this does go ahead I'll do my best to mosey on down.
Last years ride was cold, and wet, and wet and cold. Even so it was a great ride. :okay:

anothersam

SMIDSMe
It's a tough sell. No cafe stop, very hilly. Mostly, the very hilly…

The more verys you throw at it the more I’m sold – nearly enough to break my record of never having made one of your rides (I came close with the Nur Nud, until Health & Safety intervened). Alas, I’m avoiding public transport if not humanity in general, and the 160 mile round trip to Portsmouth isn’t as appealing as a hilly jolly ’round Ghost Island.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

The more verys you throw at it the more I’m sold – nearly enough to break my record of never having made one of your rides (I came close with the Nur Nud, until Health & Safety intervened). Alas, I’m avoiding public transport if not humanity in general, and the 160 mile round trip to Portsmouth isn’t as appealing as a hilly jolly ’round Ghost Island.
Quite. I had an idea of repeating my Hastings-Portsmouth ride of last year today (to take advantage of the wind speed), but then (apart from anything else) there was likely to be the problem of public transport avoiding me!

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

How did you like the ride from Hastings to Portsmouth?
That was a good one. Went north from Bexhill up to Brightling to pay Mad Jack a visit, back south via Heathfield to Seaford, then along the coast. A lot of climbing in the first 30 miles, unsurprisingly. Hopefully a repeat will be possible sooner rather than later!

Just looked to see where the Spinnaker Caff is located and it looks like a sensible choice.

And just around the corner is Team Ineos UK HQ. No, not the bike team, the boat race team - making vessels somewhat different in design to the Cowes/East Cowes ferry.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Definitely interested. By coincidence I have been looking into another trip to the Isle of Wight and learned a couple of things from the website. Firstly, face coverings are compulsory on the ferry. This seems to apply everywhere on board including the outside deck in a force 8.

Advance bookings are needed for everybody including foot passengers. It is possible to book on the day but there is a risk of being trapped on the island longer than you planned.

The catamaran is scheduled to restart in September. This may also be advance booking only but I can't see that working with through train tickets.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Definitely interested. By coincidence I have been looking into another trip to the Isle of Wight and learned a couple of things from the website. Firstly, face coverings are compulsory on the ferry. This seems to apply everywhere on board including the outside deck in a force 8.

Advance bookings are needed for everybody including foot passengers. It is possible to book on the day but there is a risk of being trapped on the island longer than you planned.

The catamaran is scheduled to restart in September. This may also be advance booking only but I can't see that working with through train tickets.
Yup, knew most of this- the regs are the same as train travel, so you are allowed to remove the covering to eat and drink, for example. I didn't know about the cat restarting, that adds a useful option. I'll ask what the options are if you miss the booked sailing, or arrive a bit early.

Top Bottom