Nightmare ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
Met up with a guy.Who i saw at Otley on monday.We went to Bolton Abbey on saturday.After a little food.We continued a further six miles to Burnsall.That is where it started to go wrong.On the way down to Burnsall my legs 'went',just got slower and slower.Got to the village and had a sports drink and a flap jack and a liitle rest.So to cut a long story short the return journey was hell.Anything uphill was a crap 5 mph.But on the Ikley main road 20 mph.Stopped off in Otley to meet another of my mates who was on a late tea time spin and made my way home at 8 mph.Knackered is the word i would use.Was really beat all night including bad attacks of cramp.This was the worst time on a bike .Question what went wrong?The trip out from Roundhay Park where we met was brill,it was not cold infact it was a sunny day and i was in shorts not longs.My legs still ache today.I have been doing leg stretching exercises to build up skinny legs using weights ie forward lunges.Maybe they are the wrong type of exercises.For it was the thighs that knotted up first.Any thoughts would be helpfull.

papercorn2000

Did you drink enough? By the time you begin to feel thirsty, you are already beginning to dehydrate.

Oncoming virus, not yet fully manifested itself? Do you have a hr monitor and if so was elevated compared to normal?

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Any number of explanations - from having a slight illness or hangover through to low blood sugar or dehydration. We all have an 'off' day sometimes, same as we sometimes have days of unexpected good form. Don't worry about it.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Put it down to not enough breakfast and not had usual meal on friday night.We had fish and chips.So 'nothing ' to cycle on.We have spag boll on thursday and cottage pie friday.Some good bulk in there.Doing the same 'run' in a month going away for a long weekend to Oughtershaw which is at the top end of Langstrothdale a belting part of the Dales.So i will monitor my response then.

Arch

Married to Night Train
<makes mental note to turn up at Postman's place of Thurs or Fri...:blush:>

Like the Doctor said, we all have off days, so perhaps it was that and the meal in combination. I'm sure you'll be fine next time...

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Thanks Arch,Must say i do sound a bit sad.But i do nearly all of the cooking here.The menu is quite good with lots of veg for the family.And a nice lamb joint on a saturday.Oh i do sound like a sado::

Arch

Married to Night Train
postman said:
Thanks Arch,Must say i do sound a bit sad.But i do nearly all of the cooking here.The menu is quite good with lots of veg for the family.And a nice lamb joint on a saturday.Oh i do sound like a sado::

Not at all, it sounds lovely! Cottage pie and spag bol are probably my favourite meals - although I never bother to make cottage pie for one, it tends to only get as far as mince 'n' mash....:wacko:

Top Bottom