No childcare, no work.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A few people have been unable to come into work over recent days because schools have been closed so they've been needed at home to look after the children.

My employers have chosen not to enforce company policy that such time should be taken as annual leave or time owing so essentially these people are getting extra days holiday.

Now that's all fine and dandy and very benevolent of the employer, but what about the poor sods who are left at work whose only gain out of the situation is to take on the extra workload of those who haven't come in ?

Am I being small-minded by being wound up by this situation or should I rock the boat by asking my employer why this discrimination is happening ?

Sorry, just needed to vent.

ASC1951

Guru
Alan Frame said:
Am I being small-minded by being wound up by this situation or should I rock the boat by asking my employer why this discrimination is happening ?
By all means get wound up about it, although you can comfort yourself with the thought that your colleagues cannot take holidays in term time and are therefore sitting ducks for the airlines and tour companies. Look at the cost of getting four people to Tenerife at Easter compared with the week before - and smile.

Rocking the boat would be small minded. Much better to vent on here.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
ASC1951 said:
comfort yourself with the thought that your colleagues cannot take holidays in term time and are therefore sitting ducks for the airlines and tour companies. Look at the cost of getting four people to Tenerife at Easter compared with the week before - and smile.

Unfortunately, I have kids too, so that benefit doesn't apply.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
vent away! My son is in the only school in town to not close today and he is pissed off. I work about 1/2 a mile from home and there are 18 out of 20 people not in!

OP
OP
Alan Frame
I have every sympathy with other people's difficulties, but it seems a double-whammy to have sorted out my own childcare and then go into work and suffer the consequences of someone else not sorting out theirs.
Probably a triple-whammy because those other people get a freebie day to play in the snow with their kids, something I would love the chance to do.

wafflycat

And an even bigger whammy for many as they won't get paid if they don't get into work...

Thankfully what MrWC & I do means that we work from home anyway and many of MrWC's meetings have been changed from face-to-face meetings to telephone discussions where possible.

HobbesChoice

Vent away. My company are very flexible with people who have children. If you don't though then you have to jump through burning hoops to leave early etc. So I understand how you feel.

The thing is, to rock the boat would cause you a lot more grief in the long run and would give people the wrong impression on how you feel about those with children. They'd probably stop giving those with children the benefits rather than allow you the same privileges unfortunately.

Like ASC says though, they have their fair share of discrimination too so I think it evens itself out over time.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
Unfortunately, the company's benevolent approach to childcare issues has been latched onto by a significant minority who are taking the mick.
Management seem unwilling/unable to do anything about the situation in spite of the adverse effect it is having on the morale of those who don't abuse it.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
HobbesChoice said:
The thing is, to rock the boat would cause you a lot more grief in the long run and would give people the wrong impression on how you feel about those with children.

I have children myself, but do not use them as an excuse in the workplace.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think the problem is that some have genuine problems with child care and others take advantage of the situation. Its how do you separate the two and also feel fair to those who make it in. Its the same with sick days - there are some who abuse that too.

For me, my children have now reached the stage where the oldest is mature enough to look after the youngest - which is a relief when you don't have those childcare problems. However as I'm on a casual contract I don't get paid when my work is cancelled either. Still I enjoy the snow and we aren't reliant on my income to keep the family afloat.

OP
OP
Alan Frame
Off to work now to see if anyone else turns up.:angry:

It's the sheer management inconsistency that gets to me...they bend over backwards for some, but stick to the letter of company policy for others.

I know life ain't fair, but all I'm asking for is equality.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Shortly after the first flakes of snow landed on Tuesday all you could hear at our place was text messages followed by the sound of laptops un-docking.
Been deserted ever since.

Top Bottom