No deal Brexit. Can someone explain in SIMPLE terms please.

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Dave7, 17 Jul 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dave7

Dave7 Guru

I confess, I am not political and most of it leaves me cold.
    But as per the title could someone explain a couple of things in simple terms (for I am but a simple person:rolleyes:).
    For the UK to walk away from the 'europeon union' we are supposed to pay compensation..... am I correct?
    Europe are asking for more than the UK are willing to pay ??
    So.......what happens if the UK just says 'goodbye' and walks away ??
    Can "they" somehow punish the UK or make us stand in a naughty corner ?

Milzy likes this.
  2. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

:popcorn:

the_mikey, robrinay, mustang1 and 5 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Dave7

Dave7 Guru

Have to agree. So I feel slightly hypocritical for asking the question.
    Thats also why I need it simple.

4. There's 3 main problems as far as I can tell:

1: Not paying the amount agreed: this isn't compensation for leaving but money pledged for the budget over the next few years, before we knew there would be a vote, so we'd be going back on a promise.

If the UK doesn't pay up they're breaching a contract. Not a good look if you're planning to get new trade deals with different countries -they won't know if the UK will honour contracts with them. Also the EU, not unreasonably, won't make a trade deal until the UK does pay up.

2: The UK/ROI Border. This is the biggest issue because membership of the EU and the subsequent blurring of this border with the same customs and trading laws on both sides, is the background for the Belfast Agreement. Take that away and there's a problem, which could result in a renewal of the Troubles. Hence the 'backstop' solution: keeping NI in the EU customs zone until a better solution is found.

3: Citizens rights. The UK orignally refused to gaurantee EU citizens rights when the EU first suggested a reciprocal agreement. Now the UK is 'demanding' the EU gaurantee citizens rights in a reciprocal agreement. Those of us affected (who can) are making sure we're safe in our adopted country. EU citizens in the UK are finding this isn't as simple as advertised

Last edited: 17 Jul 2019
  5. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

Both sides originally agreed to the "divorce" settlement, it is monies owed for previous obligations while a member of the EU. If the UK decide to walk away without paying anything it it likely that the EU would not be overly impressed, as we want and have to sort out some sort of trade agreement in the future not paying what we have agreed to would probably not go down too well with a future trading partner.

6. oldfatfool

oldfatfool Guru

I think part of the no dealers argument is they want no deal because they think the settlement is too high for what we are getting, and under no deal they will refuse to pay a settlement. Of course then the EU would then demand payment for each component probably at a punitive rate (trade deal, use of eu databases etc) The no dealers will argue that the EU needs our contribution to survive and hence will capitulate before allowing no deal. Or at least that is how I read it.

Of course it is little britain living in 1944 and steadfastly believing that johnny foreigner needs us more than we need them. Place your bets, place your bets.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2019
  7. cisamcgu

cisamcgu Guru

As far as I know, we could walk away tomorrow, and pay nothing. However, as previous posters have said, that would cast the UK in a very dim light as regards commitment and honouring promises. All trade deals, inter-country agreements, memberships of various groups and indeed our standing in the UN would be effected and these would be more expensive/difficult in the near future. But I imagine, after a generation it would be "forgotten", so maybe 20 years of suspicion and doubt about the integrity of the UK would be on the horizon.

Also, as other have said, the EU would be really, really unlikely to agree any sort of deal until we paid up - costing us many times the £39 billion over the following years in punitive tarrifs.

8. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

https://fullfact.org/europe/eu-divorce-bill/

Andy in Germany likes this.
  9. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Guru

Simple. Brexit has happened because the very rich do not want to pay tax. Brexit didn't gain any traction until the EU announced laws to deal with Evasion. Such as JRM, whose firm made 103 million quid but all of that money ended up in the Cayman Islands. The Daily Mail, owned by a firm based in the Bahamas. Telegraph, owned by two weirdos based in Monaco or the Channel Islands and the Express once owned by Richard Desmond, based in Monaco, who refused to give his staff a penny in pay rises but took over 350 million out of the company, all of which went to Monaco.

All this BS about taking back control is just a smokescreen for tax evasion.

Oh, and a good dose of racism added for good measure.

10. Dirk

Dirk If 6 Was 9

@Moderators - shouldn't this be in News & Current Affairs?

randynewmanscat and Phaeton like this.
  11. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Well so far it's gone okay, but for how much longer is another matter, as adults we ought to be able to talk about these things sensibly, but..............

classic33 likes this.
  12. Mugshot

Mugshot Cracking a solo.

but then we get posts like yours?

13. randynewmanscat

randynewmanscat Über Member

I would like to give your post 2 likes, 1 for being spot on and the other for hitting the nail on the head.
    They are regulation averse and saw the writing on the wall. Which of course is why Donald Trumps chums want to see the EU dismantled, balkanised in fact.

14. Phaeton

Phaeton Guru

Or yours :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

15. randynewmanscat

randynewmanscat Über Member

The US has form for welshing on monies owed, the UN for one. I guess they are big enough not to fear reprisal. Britain is polar opposite, entering uncharted but likely shark infested waters with nincompoops at the helm.
    If I reneged on a bank loan and told the manager to go swivel I would expect some trouble down the road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice