No lights...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Saw three with no lights on the way home today (in the dark, getting on for 5pm).

The unusual thing was that they were all cars...:biggrin: Two of them were one behind the other. You'd think the one behind would think "Oh they've got no lights on, oh! d'oh!" and similar for the one in front....

Then saw a chap negotiate a mini roundabout outside Morrisons, on the phone. Got into the wrong lane at lights, and had to change lane when the lights changed, by pushing in. (I saw this from a little way back). I caught up and passed him at the next lights when he was stopped in the queue. He'd put the phone down at least, and was reading the paper...

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
For every non-lit cyclist I see when I'm riding in the dark, there are at least one or two cars driving around with no lights on at all. Add to that the fact that almost every fourth or fifth car has only one headlight working, or only one rear light working, or no rear lights working at all (seen about 3 of these in the last two weeks) - it's pretty shocking.

Last night I had to slam on the anchors when I noticed a van up ahead with a reversing light on, and it started to get confusing when he was driving off forward with the reversing light still on. When I got closer I saw what the problem was - one of his rear lights was smashed so there was just a bare bulb rather than a red plastic facing plate. Looked just like a reversing light... :biggrin:

StuartG

slower but further
goo_mason said:
For every non-lit cyclist I see when I'm riding in the dark, there are at least one or two cars driving around with no lights on at all.
Wish that were true. Difficult to imagine if you cycle around my part of South London where no lights, black clothing and black bikes are de-rigeur amongst the young. Pretty obvious why you see less older people without ...

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I was amazed that I didn't hit a ninja, recently, with my car! Dark road ahead, but something just didn't look quite right. I don't know if I caught a momentary glint off a pedal, or what, but something told me that there was something in the road up ahead. Moved to the adjacent lane, and kept looking, but still couldn't see anything, but was SURE something was there. Finally, as I got near enough, I could see the ninja cyclist. I wonder if he had any idea how invisible he was.

I have been ridiculed by the amount of reflective material on my bike, and high-vis that I wear, but no one who has ridiculed me for "overdoing it", has been able to answer the question: "Which parts of the bike do you think should be invisible?"

tmcd35

It's sad but some people do give cycling (and driving) a bad name. I was out on my regular after-work loop yesterday, after 5 and very dark. I was on the main ring around Norwich surrounded by heavy fast moving traffic. I was clipping along at a nice speed myself, anywhere from 15mph to 20mph.

Anyway, notice these two guys on the pavement with no lights. As I start to pass them one of them drops in front of me on the road, causing me to move out and over take - in heavy traffic (either that or ride into him).

As I passed I notice he had a bit of a bemused look on his face. He realised, from the expression on mine, that I was pissed with him. But he just couldn't work out why! IDIOT!

threefingerjoe said:
I was amazed that I didn't hit a ninja, recently, with my car! Dark road ahead, but something just didn't look quite right. I don't know if I caught a momentary glint off a pedal, or what, but something told me that there was something in the road up ahead. Moved to the adjacent lane, and kept looking, but still couldn't see anything, but was SURE something was there. Finally, as I got near enough, I could see the ninja cyclist. I wonder if he had any idea how invisible he was.

I have been ridiculed by the amount of reflective material on my bike, and high-vis that I wear, but no one who has ridiculed me for "overdoing it", has been able to answer the question: "Which parts of the bike do you think should be invisible?"
Yep, same here. My stock answer to the inevitable "hur hur we can see you coming" is "yep, that's kind of the idea .. though you'd be amazed at how many people don't seem to be able to see me".

So true, while getting ready to leave work in my flouro jacket I got the 'Sure you are bright enough?' sarcastic comment from a co-worker. My reply was, 'apparently not judging from the number of people who don't see me.'

I don't think you can overdo it, especially in the winter months.

Norm

2Loose said:
I don't think you can overdo it, especially in the winter months.
When I got home last night, Mrs Norm and The Smalls were at the stables so I put a viz-vest over my work clothes and scooted down there. They were all sitting in the car, just about to leave as I arrived and, when I cycled up, the wife said she thought an artic had pulled in with the amount of light I was throwing around.

As I have never had a thrid-party view of my lights (Smart 1/2 watt at the back, Exposure Enduro Maxx on flash at the front and a helmet-mounted Exposure Joystick on Maxx), I asked her and the kids to give it some thought when they overtook me and let me know what they reckon.

When I got home, the wife said that the lights were "so bright they are distracting". I took that to be a good thing but she wasn't so sure at first. Then I pointed out the car coming the other way which had stopped to let me go round a parked vehicle, and asked whether she thought I'd have been given so much room if I'd had an Ever Ready up front. She also, on reflection, realised how much safer it was having a helmet light as she could tell when I shoulder-checked to move out round a car parked half on the pavement which she hadn't noticed.

She also came past me on an unlit country road, where I have the Joystick on Maxx. About 1/2 mile later, when we got to a lit stretch of road, I put the Joystick onto low and she said that was a lot "better".

Thing that got me most is that she is still surprised that I can make the 2 mile journey from the stables in less time than her, as she was still parking the car when I was in the house putting the kettle on. ;)

chap

Veteran
I received the Smart 1/2 watt from Wiggle today, I am very impressed with it. I have the Brompton battery set, but have also attached the Smart set and the back light is extremely good; the front is passable, but will work well in conjunction with the Brompton set (also passable). I also have 2 blinkies (like Knog frog lights) on the front, used to have one on the back but ran out. So that's 6 lights on the bike.

One of my reflectors has a blinking motion too, so this is handy. Where do I use this, on country paths. In a city, the standard Brompton lights are adequate.

I am trying to convince myself to get the B&M Ixon IQ, then I can replace all the front lights with it. If the Magtron / Reelights worked with the Brompton, I would get that too.

dudi

I was talking about these unlit cyclists to my wife yesterday. The only good thing I could think of it is that with these people about, you would expect that the normal, considerate and well lit cyclist would have a statistical advantage over them, and therefore less likely to become just a statistic...

In Ipswich I see so many cyclists who obviously are only riding because they want to cut down on fuel bills - they dust off the old bike from the shed and off they go - no proper thought going into whether the bike is safe, maintained, suitable or whether they really do need to put some lights on it if they're going to be riding round the lanes at 7pm in pitch black.

Saw one last night, young kid so probably doesnt know better (never taught)... Black BMX, Black hooded top, hood up, black trousers, no reflectors - nearly gets taken out by a taxi when he just rides across the road in front.. rediculous.

I'm off to B&Q

J4CKO

Every fifth car seems to only have one headlamp working, why arent the Police handing out quick fifty quid fines, I see the same cars every day with one ligth out for months, guess what, in total darkness the other one will fail and you will have NO lights !

I think for a lot of people one is enough in their minds, and buying a new bulb is too complicated, never mind carrying a spare or having some at home ready, fitting it would involve raising the bonnet and might cut into some Soap opera and get their hands dirty, still as long as they can add credit to their pay as you go mobile whilst driving which is several thousand times more complicated than fitting a bulb thats alright.

HobbesChoice

Norm said:
When I got home last night, Mrs Norm and The Smalls were at the stables so I put a viz-vest over my work clothes and scooted down there. They were all sitting in the car, just about to leave as I arrived and, when I cycled up, the wife said she thought an artic had pulled in with the amount of light I was throwing around.

As I have never had a thrid-party view of my lights (Smart 1/2 watt at the back, Exposure Enduro Maxx on flash at the front and a helmet-mounted Exposure Joystick on Maxx), I asked her and the kids to give it some thought when they overtook me and let me know what they reckon.

When I got home, the wife said that the lights were "so bright they are distracting". I took that to be a good thing but she wasn't so sure at first. Then I pointed out the car coming the other way which had stopped to let me go round a parked vehicle, and asked whether she thought I'd have been given so much room if I'd had an Ever Ready up front. She also, on reflection, realised how much safer it was having a helmet light as she could tell when I shoulder-checked to move out round a car parked half on the pavement which she hadn't noticed.

She also came past me on an unlit country road, where I have the Joystick on Maxx. About 1/2 mile later, when we got to a lit stretch of road, I put the Joystick onto low and she said that was a lot "better".

Thing that got me most is that she is still surprised that I can make the 2 mile journey from the stables in less time than her, as she was still parking the car when I was in the house putting the kettle on. :smile:

Thanks for sharing this Norm. I've been considering whether I should have a hat light or not but couldn't really come up with a proper reason why I'd need another light on my bike (I have 2 up front already). Now it's pitch dark whatever time I'm out on my bike and with your reasoning I think I'll set my hat light up this weekend. Thanks again!

Top Bottom