No More Four Minute Warning

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Diogenes, 13 Jan 2018.

1. Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

classic33 likes this.
  2. Fonze

Fonze Totally obsessive , cool by nature

Yep, that's a pants filler ..
    Fake news ..

dave r and Chris S like this.
  3. I thought it was fairly well known that in a national catastrophic emergency everyone’s phone would ring to warn them.

I am sure we have the same system here. Government sends notice to vodaphone, o2 etc etc. They send text/call to all customers.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018
  4. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

5. classic33

Human Error.

6. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

There you go, learned something today ^_^

Illaveago likes this.
  7. I arrived in Melbourne during the 2009 bushfire disaster, and picked up a SIM at the airport. The next morning I got an alert (it may have been a text message) from the Government alerting me to the fire risk that day.

I assume (as up thread) it was sent to every phone within a defined set of mobile towers.

Luckily the cool change came early, and there were no serious fires that day.

raleighnut likes this.
  8. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Is there any real point to a 4 minute warning?

If I was at work when it happened, I could wait 4 minutes for a lift down to the ground floor, let alone make it to the car - and then what?

The mobile phone network would crash immediately with everyone trying to ring everyone else. The internet would go down as everyone updated their status, or posted a ready for the end of the world selfie on Instagram.

If I were at home I'd barely have time to make it to the Co-op, let alone panic buy anything I could get my hands on.

Oh, and Mrs ND would wonder what all the fuss was about as she wouldn't have noticed the text arrive...:laugh:

Slick, Illaveago, raleighnut and 4 others like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Diogenes

Diogenes Guru

My wife was in the Royal Observer Corps in the 80s when they rehearsed procedures regularly and reckons the warning wouldn't have been given to the general public. They practiced moving VIPs quickly to shelters (took longer than 4 minutes - more like 4 hours) but the rehearsals for full scale procedures all showed very small percentages of the public being saved.

Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  10. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

[QUOTE 5115299, member: 45"]There's a system in place that allows allocated people priority use of the mobile network. The rest of us would be caught up in the queues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTPAS[/QUOTE]

Before @Markymark chirps up, presumably that would be iPhone users first? :laugh:

11. YukonBoy

YukonBoy Veteran

Just got the warming

12. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Do I care, just finished a bottle red to myself whilst Pam has got a bottle of Pinot ready for the recycling bin, and would you know it the cork has just popped out of a magnum of Prosseco. Tomorrow morning may arrive later than normal.

13. classic33

Kiss your a** goodbye?

14. Beebo

Beebo Firm and Fruity

The US PGA are holding a major golf tournament in Hawaii which was apparently badly affected.
    Can you imagine that many people in a wide open space.

Illaveago likes this.
  15. classic33

NorthernDave and Diogenes like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice