No positives so no doping.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Or the technology of doping has exceed the screening currently in use, EPO was in use long before it was able to be tested for.

gavintc

Guru
IMO, we are entering a phase in which the doping is more successful than the anti doping checks and the systems are not catching them. To have a tour with only one seems low to me. Perhaps, I have become used to the July doping scandals.

Wasn't there a French chappy from AFLD who said that there were, he thought, new products being used alongside homologous blood transfusion. None of which is testable at the moment.

But hey, if McQuaid has sounded the all clear then everything must be just fine! :biggrin:

gavintc said:
IMO, we are entering a phase in which the doping is more successful than the anti doping checks and the systems are not catching them. To have a tour with only one seems low to me. Perhaps, I have become used to the July doping scandals.
You could be right, although hasn't that always been the case? Ironically we are also in a period where drug testing has been ratcheted up (more tests, targetted testing, passport) so the likes of McQuaid are busy patting themselves on the back and congratulating themselves on a job well done...:biggrin:

Jonathan M

gavintc said:

That is highly likely, many of the publicised doping problems recently in sports have often involved recreational substances in out of season testing, although that raises the issue of whether this indicates an underlying performance enhancing doping problem - after all, aren't these guys supposed to consider "my body is a temple." Well, not mine,mine is only a temple to food, and although I have the body of a god, that god is buddha! ;)

mr-marty-martin

im wondering, could riders be using doping in training ( so not to get cuahgt on it in races ) and could this not ean they could train longer harder hours etc?

yenrod

Lets not forget that Wiggins published his blood profiles after the 'tour...

So why is he doing that ;)

Does this mean that he still feels that things are still being done so he is doing what he can to show his innocence...

Jonathan M

mr-marty-martin said:
im wondering, could riders be using doping in training ( so not to get cuahgt on it in races ) and could this not ean they could train longer harder hours etc?

Lots of out of season testing, that is one reason why riders are testing +ve for the likes of cocaine etc, which they are using in the same way any other dickhead does, ie recreationally, but many performance enhancers would need fairly regular usage to maintain the effects rather than just improving the outcomes of training.

An example is EPO, which is a hormone that boosts the bodys ability to produce red cells. Produced synthetically to be used in medical situations such as chemotherapy related anaemia etc, it was used to excess by some riders, to the point where their very low resting heart rates combined with circulating blood that was much thicker than it should be resulted in "unexplained" deaths of young previously fit riders in the middle of the night - basically their blood started to thicken & clot in their arteries!

Because red cells last really for a max of 120 days then some riders may take the chance of dosing with such a substance (there are newer ones than EPO now) in the run up to a competition, then stop to avoid being positive during competition. But leave it too long and the benefits will start to fade as the body returns back to its normal rate of red cell production, and old cells are broken down & recycled. The closer a rider dopes up to the race, the better the effects of the doping generally, but leave it too close and you'll probably still test positive, substance dependent.

Flying_Monkey said:
Doesn't cocaine also have a masking effect on some other performance enhancing substances? I am sure I read that somewhere...
Isn't that a bit like a paedophile throwing police off the scent by hanging round graveyards wearing an "I AM A NECROPHILIAC" t-shirt?

Top Bottom