No wonder drivers get frustrated...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
As part of my extra mileage efforts, today, I rode out down the Fulford Road, to Heslington Lane, left down Heslington Lane, to the bottom where it meets Broadway, left at the mini RAB, and back up Broadway to the junction with Fulford Road, to then cross over and head down to the riverside path. It's a V shaped route, of 1.15 miles, with a 0.22 mile 'top' of the triangle.

As I turned into Hes Lane, I noticed on the other side of the road, a low loader, carrying a vintage tractor. As I waited in line at the lights at the top of Broadway, the low loader and tractor was just crossing the top of the road. So in the time I'd travelled 1.15 miles, (and only at about 12-13mph, so in about 5 mins), that low loader had travelled a whole 0.22 miles, along the packed Fulford Road. 2.64mph average...

Bigsharn

Veteran
As part of my extra mileage efforts, today, I rode out down the Fulford Road, to Heslington Lane, left down Heslington Lane, to the bottom where it meets Broadway, left at the mini RAB, and back up Broadway to the junction with Fulford Road, to then cross over and head down to the riverside path. It's a V shaped route, of 1.15 miles, with a 0.22 mile 'top' of the triangle.

As I turned into Hes Lane, I noticed on the other side of the road, a low loader, carrying a vintage tractor. As I waited in line at the lights at the top of Broadway, the low loader and tractor was just crossing the top of the road. So in the time I'd travelled 1.15 miles, (and only at about 12-13mph, so in about 5 mins), that low loader had travelled a whole 0.22 miles, along the packed Fulford Road. 2.64mph average...

In honesty traffic in York's been crap as of late, since the council shut Micklegate Bar/Blosson Street for roadworks, was it queued back or was it just the extreme slowness of the low-loader? I've seen railway locomotives being transported past the station (on the back of a lorry) faster than that.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
In honesty traffic in York's been crap as of late, since the council shut Micklegate Bar/Blosson Street for roadworks, was it queued back or was it just the extreme slowness of the low-loader? I've seen railway locomotives being transported past the station (on the back of a lorry) faster than that.

It was just jammed traffic - the low loader was actually just a normal flatbed truck. For one whole phase of the lights at the top of Broadway, nothing could get out onto Fulford Road - by the progress of the tractor, I suspect tjat must have happened a few times. It was pretty busy outbound as well though.

That would be a hell of a back up, from Micklegate to Fulford Road!

Must have stayed slow though. Last week I saw an M and S lorry heading into town at the same point, and when I passed M and S later, it was just backing in. I saw an M and S lorry again today, at the same point, and there waas no sign of it in town when I reached the same point - no way it could have been and gone, as they take ages to manoeuvre into the bays. Probably still sitting on Fishergate somewhere....

jimboalee

It was just jammed traffic - the low loader was actually just a normal flatbed truck. For one whole phase of the lights at the top of Broadway, nothing could get out onto Fulford Road - by the progress of the tractor, I suspect tjat must have happened a few times. It was pretty busy outbound as well though.

That would be a hell of a back up, from Micklegate to Fulford Road!

Must have stayed slow though. Last week I saw an M and S lorry heading into town at the same point, and when I passed M and S later, it was just backing in. I saw an M and S lorry again today, at the same point, and there waas no sign of it in town when I reached the same point - no way it could have been and gone, as they take ages to manoeuvre into the bays. Probably still sitting on Fishergate somewhere....

On another thread, I mention I rode into the centre of Birmingham last evening. I rode into Brum on the Stratford Road, and out on the Warwick Road because I have a nice game to play with the No. 37 bus to Solihull Station. It's called 'Leap frog'.
Not so much exactly 'Leap frog'. As soon as the bus gets to the single carriageway section through Sparkhill, I get well ahead and don't see it again until I am cooling down at Solihull Station.

The other traffic isn't much faster. I was on my BSA 20 so they got away, but on my Dawes, I might be faster than most of it.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

I'd like to see you do better than 2.64 average carrying a vintage tractor on your bike.....

York is motoring heaven compared to Lahndan. I have no idea why anyone gets into those boxes here. I haven't got the time to waste driving to work. This morning I rode in early in 50mins (& added an extra loop). Two days ago, with a tube strike, I was delayed so much that it was 57mins. Snow can make it 1hr10mins. I pass hundreds of cars every morning. It's insane.

jimboalee

York is motoring heaven compared to Lahndan. I have no idea why anyone gets into those boxes here. I haven't got the time to waste driving to work. This morning I rode in early in 50mins (& added an extra loop). Two days ago, with a tube strike, I was delayed so much that it was 57mins. Snow can make it 1hr10mins. I pass hundreds of cars every morning. It's insane.

When I drive to work, I leave home at 05:50 and head off through Warwick to where I work. Most mornings I don't need to stop. The traffic lights loops detect me and the lights change.
In the afternoons, my return trip is on the M40 & M42. Most afternoons I stop once at the traffic lights on the Solihull By-pass.

2010 Ford Focus 1.6 diesel. Average milage for the trip..... 74.2 mpg.

That'd be a very different story down here.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Even in London though, is 5.50am peak rush hour? Unless Jimboalee has a 3 hour drive, and or a very long working day, it's unlikely he's hitting peak traffic...

Still, jammed solid traffic is fine for me - I can usually filter through, and even if not, walking is faster! :biggrin:

Top Bottom