No wonder that felt like hard work!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cycled into work, it's about 3.5 miles, very slightly uphill and with lots of peds, dogs, gates and glass - still, I usually manage an average of about 12mph. Today, it felt like terribly hard work, but I couldn't work out what the problem was, tyres fully pumped up, bike not making any weird noises, nothing...so I just put it down to one of those days where it just feels like effort. Get to work, worn out,sweating like hell and with an average of 10.6mph only to realise that that little metal stick thing on my v-brakes that clips behind the brake arm and keeps the brakes in position had somehow come loose at the rear (think I caught it when wriggling bike out of front door). So I ended up cycling the whole way with the back brake on!!!! Can't believe I didn't even realise!!!!! :biggrin::tongue::blush:

Must be excellent fitness training tho...maybe I should do a video of it and sell it...

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
punkypossum said:
Cycled into work, it's about 3.5 miles, very slightly uphill and with lots of peds, dogs, gates and glass - still, I usually manage an average of about 12mph. Today, it felt like terribly hard work, but I couldn't work out what the problem was, tyres fully pumped up, bike not making any weird noises, nothing...so I just put it down to one of those days where it just feels like effort. Get to work, worn out,sweating like hell and with an average of 10.6mph only to realise that that little metal stick thing on my v-brakes that clips behind the brake arm and keeps the brakes in position had somehow come loose at the rear (think I caught it when wriggling bike out of front door). So I ended up cycling the whole way with the back brake on!!!! Can't believe I didn't even realise!!!!! :biggrin::tongue::blush:

Must be excellent fitness training tho...maybe I should do a video of it and sell it...

Sorry PP.....lost me there:smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Think it has happened to most of us one time or another...:biggrin:

Lazy-Commuter said:
I've had that one as well. The first time, I did about two miles before I twigged what was going on. :ohmy: It's one of the first things I check now if things feel sluggish .. :sad:

Something similar happened to me, but different cause. I was on the last part of a week of 25-milers in the Derbyshire backroads (quite hilly) and I could feel it was taking real effort on the last few hills - even the flat parts seemed harder. Wasn't until I got back home and gave the rear wheel a spin that I discovered the hub was siezing up - it barely rotated twice before stopping!

thomas

the tank engine
I had the opposite of that the other day. I thought my brakes had been undone as they weren't stopping me very well. It was wet out and it turned out after checking they were just a lot more slippy than I had expected!

I should imagine I'll need new brake pads soon though.

Top Bottom