Noisy neighbours

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,

I currently live in a small two up two down terraced house, the neighbors to one side we've met once, briefly when moving in, they seem nice people but we've never bumped into each other since.

the neighbors to the other side however we hear from a fair bit,
there seems to be four people living there, not a problem except, from what I can gather;

one of them is a music producer using a studio in the upstairs back room to mix r 'n' b, dancy, thumping bass hipperty hop kind of music - not my kind of music but each to their own.
he's going from about 10 / 11 am until 5pm and most of the time I can tolerate it, its during the day but every once in a while its a bit loud. I spoke to him while my wife was on nights and he appologised for the noise but said he couldn't turn it down too much as he needs to hear it to work.

someone else in the house is a dj and seems to practice when he gets home from work in an evening, 7pm - 11ish

and sometimes they just listen to the music, continue practicing until about 2 am

I have been round once or twice and asked politely if they could turn it down a notch or two, and, if they answer the door, they have, but it seems that once a week i'm trying to decide if its loud enough to warrant going round and seeing if they'll answer the door or just to leave it.

my wife is getting a little bit fed up of it

it's going now, thump, thump, thumperty thu-thu-thu-thu-mp, it seriously sounds like a record player being hit by a hammer.

any suggestions?

I don't want to annoy the good neighbors at the other side, I have put my bass amp up against the wall and played a bit, but to little avail.

I'm not wanting to cause trouble for the people next door, I just want to loose the thumperty thump thump

I understand your woes, Black Sheep!

Noisy neighbours can be a living hell. In your case, though, they seem approachable and willing to comply with your request to turn the noise down.

I doubt it'll ever fall to the level you desire, so would it not be possible to insulate your walls in some wa y, so as to dampen the noise?

Don't know if this helps, but it could be an option: http://www.articlegarden.com/Article/Noise-Reduction-Insulation---A-Great-Idea-for-Your-Home-/45352

Good luck.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I think do what you're currently doing. As Dayvo says it won't ever go down to acceptable levels. Sound proof it or learn to become more tolerant. You might want to keep a record of the 11pm + stuff though.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
I can't do anything to the house as it's rented.

I wouldn't mind it if it was once or twice a week, this is daily.

I've only managed to talk to them once or twice in the 4 months we've been here and its always back to the same volume the next day - no idea how the people here before us coped.

just turning the bass down literally one notch on the mixing desk / amp would drop the bass intrusion enough, some days I have to turn the radio off as everything has acquired a new bass line
sometimes its loud enough to hear the lyrics of the song.

My wife is of the opinion that we get our own back by having a screaming baby to wake them up with every now and then but I'm not wanting to go to such great lengths :tongue:

OP
OP
Black Sheep
From the area the house is in, and the way it looks, I think it might be rented. I know I have a clause in my contract that says I can not run a business from home that involves many people / parcels or disturbance to other neighbors, I wonder if they have the same.

the trouble with any action such as the above or talking to environmental health is that they'll have a fair guess it's me, the neighbours the other side of them don't seem to notice.

Genman

I think do what you're currently doing. As Dayvo says it won't ever go down to acceptable levels. Sound proof it or learn to become more tolerant. You might want to keep a record of the 11pm + stuff though.

Why should he do either?
Selfish bastards don't deserve tolerance, they need to be reported to The Environmental Health. These sort of neighbours see tolerance as weakness and need sorting pronto.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I agree. Tell them you want no music after 10.00 and if they carry on, you will start taking action. End of.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I agree. Tell them you want no music after 10.00 and if they carry on, you will start taking action. End of.

Can't be fairer then this...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Why should he do either?
Selfish bastards don't deserve tolerance, they need to be reported to The Environmental Health. These sort of neighbours see tolerance as weakness and need sorting pronto.

I'm sure you can read between the lines. That said the council may not necessarily agree with Black Sheep's wife's opinion or that they can do much before 11pm. Or it might take quite a while...;):sad:

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Why bother, I would just up sticks and move, people like this aren't worth the fight. If you had just bought the place it would be a completely different story, involing the legal system, do you really need the hassle.

I have always quite liked the idea of getting into their electrcal system (old 2 up 2 downs often had an open loft to access their loft and wiring) and running a wire to earth with a switch on it. When you press the switch to earth their wiring, it would blow their fuse or trip the trip off.

Arch

Married to Night Train

Hear hear. Perhaps allow to 11, but there's no reason he should just put up with it. I don't see why the guy can't use headphones.

And why should he have to move? That's a lot of hassle to go through, just because some antisocial twats can't think of anyone but themselves.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Why bother, I would just up sticks and move, people like this aren't worth the fight. If you had just bought the place it would be a completely different story, involing the legal system, do you really need the hassle.

I'm in a one year contract on the tennancy of the house, and we quite like the house, just not the noise bleeding through

Hear hear. Perhaps allow to 11, but there's no reason he should just put up with it. I don't see why the guy can't use headphones.

And why should he have to move? That's a lot of hassle to go through, just because some antisocial twats can't think of anyone but themselves.

I agree.

Top Bottom