Northampton newbie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Number6

Hello all,
I've made the (rather rash) decision to get fit (ter) by getting back into cycling, nothing too serious you understand but would like to get out say 3-5 times a week and see if I can shift a few pounds.
Hope to be able to make a few contributions as well as pillage the amassed knowledge base on here.
Cheers
Steve.

Hi Steve, I am also new and from Northampton....also trying to get fitter by cycling having bought a new bike in the last few weeks....good luck and welcome!

Steve.

Hello chaps

I am based in Milton Keynes.

The country roads between here and there are great for cycling and are not usually too busy as long as you are not riding rush hour.

Good luck and maybe see you in the cafe at Salcey forest

OP
OP
N

Number6

Thanks guys,

uphillstruggler, I'm MK born and bred although when I was born the new city wasn't even a twinkle in the developers eye, I know the back roads around Wolverton and Newport Pagnell well but like you say I don't think I'd fancy tackling the Haversham/Hanslope road during it's busy period!
I'll tell you one thing though I don't half miss the redways.

steveininnorthants, Do you know any decent routes around the Hunsbury area?

Hi Number 6 - I am in Hunsbury (Meadows) myself actually, but am still a relative newbie to Northampton so still finding my way around the local paths and trails, though there seem to be plenty including along the Nene, the canal and through Swan Valley to the local villages like Kislingbury etc. Worth looking on something like Bikehike.co.uk to check out routes - thats what I have been doing.

I admit I am drawn to paths along watercourses, probably due to being an angler, so I like the canal towpath....nice ride out via a bridleway to Kislingbury, on to Gayton then join the canal back to Hunsbury - did that with my daughter last weekend - about 13 miles but very pleasant. Have also gone along the Nene into town, past the new Marina and on towards Billing.

The flood plane below Sixfields has some nice paths which seem to connect to various local roads, so am aiming to explore those in due course, and get up to Harlestone Firs as I have heard there are some nice trails there suitable for a hybrid like mine, rather than needing a full spec MTB.

Am sure others on here may be more familiar with the area, but hope that gives you some ideas!

Thanks guys,

uphillstruggler, I'm MK born and bred although when I was born the new city wasn't even a twinkle in the developers eye, I know the back roads around Wolverton and Newport Pagnell well but like you say I don't think I'd fancy tackling the Haversham/Hanslope road during it's busy period!
I'll tell you one thing though I don't half miss the redways.

steveininnorthants, Do you know any decent routes around the Hunsbury area?

we wont hold that against you.

like you say, i would not usually ride that road during rush hour, my routes are planned around avoiding time and roads like that.

i use the redways to get to the edge of MK in which ever direction i am going then get onto the lanes, saves the racing track that is the grid system.

Good luck with the fitness thing and say hello if you see a bloke riding a giant rapid flat bar around your neck of the woods.

Cheers

Top Bottom