northern rock cyclone anyone else doing it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash68

I'm entered in the 100 mile ride, anyone else doing any of the 3 rides this saturday. I'll have my cyclechat top on, so say hello if you see me. Might be covered by my rain jacket mind as the forcast is for showers. This was my first sportive last year and I really enjoyed it. Very friendly folk and a lovely route. The starts only 15 miles from my house so it's my local event. Nice not to have to travel for a change.

Chris James

Über Member
Hi Ash68, I am doing the 62 miler. My inlaws live in Ponteland so I am going to ride over to the start and back, so I suppose it will end up about 70 miles or so in the end.

I will be wearing my Cycle Chat jersey too, so you can give me a wave when you steam past me! The furthest I have been this year is 43 miles (albeit a very hilly 43 miles - 1450m height gain) as we had a new baby early this year, so didn't think I would be fit enough for the long route.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm doing the 62 miler too... will wear my CC top too :biggrin: I don't know the bits near the falcons ground, but everywhere from Ogle round to Stamfordham I know the roads v well.... :angry: See you there! :angry: (In fact i had a sneaky ride up the Ryals last weekend, just to make sure i can still get up 'em)

Jonathan M

I assume as tax-payers we all get free entry?

I'd have thought that NR would have shelved such an event in light of last years problems? Or is the entry fee propping the bank up further?

Chris James

Über Member
Jonathan M said:
I assume as tax-payers we all get free entry?

I'd have thought that NR would have shelved such an event in light of last years problems? Or is the entry fee propping the bank up further?

Funnily enough the bank don't run the event.

I don't think Flora run the London Marathon either.

OP
OP
A

ash68

Fnaar said:
I'm doing the 62 miler too... will wear my CC top too :wacko: I don't know the bits near the falcons ground, but everywhere from Ogle round to Stamfordham I know the roads v well.... ;) See you there! :thumbsup: (In fact i had a sneaky ride up the Ryals last weekend, just to make sure i can still get up 'em)

The route goes up to Ponteland on a main road, which isn't too busy then quickly goes out into the countryside on quieter country roads. I did the ride last year and it was very well signed all the way round with different coloured arrows for the 3 different distances. Looking forward to Saturday, it's great to have a quality event so close to home.Must admit I haven't attempted to climb the Ryals since last years event. I got up then, but it was a close thing. looks like there's going to be a few cyclechat forumers on the route,I will say hi when you all go past at top speed. Only seen one other cyclechat shirt wearer so far. Saw Trio on the Etape du dales and had a wee chat about the route and the weather. See you all on saturday

Capt. Jon

ash68 said:
The route goes up to Ponteland on a main road, which isn't too busy then quickly goes out into the countryside on quieter country roads. I did the ride last year and it was very well signed all the way round with different coloured arrows for the 3 different distances. Looking forward to Saturday, it's great to have a quality event so close to home.Must admit I haven't attempted to climb the Ryals since last years event. I got up then, but it was a close thing. looks like there's going to be a few cyclechat forumers on the route,I will say hi when you all go past at top speed. Only seen one other cyclechat shirt wearer so far. Saw Trio on the Etape du dales and had a wee chat about the route and the weather. See you all on saturday

re. the Ryals...i've not ridden them yet, despite living locally, but apparently the trick is to fit a triple before you start :wacko: 26-28 should be ok (he says hopefully).

Dr Smut

The first Ryal is worse than the second, but they are short and once you are up the first its plain sailing to the finish. Did it last year on a 34-27 and it was fine. Worse for me was the climb before that out of Wark on the 100 miler- it just goes on, and on, and on...

Oh and its steep in parts too.:wacko:

OP
OP
A

ash68

Dr Smut said:
The first Ryal is worse than the second, but they are short and once you are up the first its plain sailing to the finish. Did it last year on a 34-27 and it was fine. Worse for me was the climb before that out of Wark on the 100 miler- it just goes on, and on, and on...

Oh and its steep in parts too.:wacko:

Yeh. think that's the climb up to Birtley isn't it. it sort of gets overlooked on the route map ,doesn't look much on paper, but it just saps the strength out of your legs after the nice run down from Bellingham.

Got to admit i used a 30x25 last year to get up the ryals, still got 30x27 on at the moment after some sortees into the lakes earlier in the spring when I know the 25 wouldn't have been enough for me.....Think the ryals are so hard as they come at a time when everyones legs are beginning to get tired whichever route you do, and as you say it's once your over them it's pretty much plain sailing all the way back to kingston park

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I'm no good at understanding gearing etc, and I'm presuming my bike (giant ocr) is pretty standard.. just counted teeth, and i think smaller one at front (it's a 2-ring) has 38, and largest one at back has 28... does that make any sense? Anyway, that's what I used to get up ryals last weekend... :wacko:

Jonathan M

Chris James said:
Funnily enough the bank don't run the event.

I don't think Flora run the London Marathon either.

No they don't, but then they don't get a name emblasoned across the signage without spending money either. Seems "indiscreet" that they can be in such deep shoot financially and still sponsor events?

Top Bottom