Northern Rock Cyclone Challenge 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Thought I'd start a new thread for this
Link for those interested:

I'm doing ride C (104 miles). Anyone else signed up?

And mebbes for the Northumberlanders/Toonites on here, we could organise a few 'practice' rides a bit nearer the time...???

Thinking of signing up for the 104m one this year, did the 63 miler last year.

Started a bit of training this week after a winter off the bike and did 46 miles based on the short route. I'm based in the Toon centre, so don't know whether we could get some rides in, would be great if we could.

Peter Harrison

oakroyd said:
Thinking of signing up for the 104m one this year, did the 63 miler last year.

Started a bit of training this week after a winter off the bike and did 46 miles based on the short route. I'm based in the Toon centre, so don't know whether we could get some rides in, would be great if we could.
don't leave it too long before you register - places are filling up fast.
peter
organiser

LOOKing forward to the 104 miler again. The ride last year was my first attempt at 100 miles and after a modest training regime and stoked up with High 5 it was an enjoyable day out and nothing like as painful as imagined. I averaged 14.6 mph and am targeting 6.5 hours and 16mph this year, but will undoubtedly need to stick religiously to my 'smart' training regime to achieve my goal. What's your target Fnaar? Providing it's within a 1 or 2 mph either side of mine, I'll be happy to join you and others for a ride round the course one/two weeks before the event. Sounds a great idea.

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi there... last yr was my first 100 miler (did the 60+ one the year before). I think my time was about 7 and a half hours, so you're faster than me. My target is really to not take any longer :biggrin:
I'm up for practice rides, deffo, nearer the time.

SimonC

Rode the 104 miler last year, kids decided they wanted to do the short ride this year, but are now backpedalling (see what I did there:laugh:), so I think I will stop fannying about and enter the C ride again. Can always just ride the short one if and when they make their minds up.

For those that havent done it or are thinking about it, its lovely country to ride in.

LizardEye

I'm signing up for the 104 miler after doing the 62 last year and loving it.
Having done the shorter ride on my mountain bike I thought I couldn't really just do the same distance on my new road bike.

Hopefully not a mistake.

How much of a jump is it from B to C, those that have done both?.

Definitely up for a practice round sometime.

Im in for the 104 miler. Anyone thinking of doing it had better get their entry in soon, theres already over 1000 in the 104m.

For those who arent sure which distance is for them, you can enter the 104 then on the day if you don't feel your up to it, you can simply do the shorter route.
I have e-mailed them to find out that this is ok.

Peter Harrison

addictfreak said:
Im in for the 104 miler. Anyone thinking of doing it had better get their entry in soon, theres already over 1000 in the 104m.

For those who arent sure which distance is for them, you can enter the 104 then on the day if you don't feel your up to it, you can simply do the shorter route.
I have e-mailed them to find out that this is ok.
Entries now up to 1034 for the 104ml ride (3 miles more than last year with another sneaky climb):biggrin:
You are right that you can change on the day but don't want to make it too public as there could be a hell of a lot of bananas left at the top of Bilsmoor:ohmy:
Keep spreading the word and let's make this the biggest event in the UK and show those from the deep south how beautiful (and hilly) Northumberland really is and how traffic free our roads are all year round.
Hope everyone will turn out on the sunday to see the pros race up the Ryals four times:laugh:

Peter Harrison said:
Entries now up to 1034 for the 104ml ride (3 miles more than last year with another sneaky climb):biggrin:
You are right that you can change on the day but don't want to make it too public as there could be a hell of a lot of bananas left at the top of Bilsmoor:ohmy:
Keep spreading the word and let's make this the biggest event in the UK and show those from the deep south how beautiful (and hilly) Northumberland really is and how traffic free our roads are all year round.
Hope everyone will turn out on the sunday to see the pros race up the Ryals four times:laugh:

Oops! Didnt mean to let the cat out of the bag Peter:blush:

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
LizardEye said:
How much of a jump is it from B to C, those that have done both?.

Difficult to say... I did the 63 when I thought that's all I was capable of. (I then cycled about 17 miles home :becool: ) By the next yr, I'd upped my regular mileage, and the 100 wasn't a prob at all. Just do more in the run up, I guess. I did about three seventy-odd milers from mid May, then the week before did a 40 miler. Was more than ready by the Saturday.

Sam Kennedy

I signed up for the 63, but will happily do more at a 15-17mph average before the event!
Can someone PM me when something has been organised, I will probably forget about this plan, but I really want to meet up with cyclechatters! (Providing they aren't psycho paedophiles, but as long as they have more than 100 posts I think they're safe!)

OP
OP
Fnaar

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Sam Kennedy said:
I signed up for the 63, but will happily do more at a 15-17mph average before the event!
Can someone PM me when something has been organised, I will probably forget about this plan, but I really want to meet up with cyclechatters! (Providing they aren't psycho paedophiles, but as long as they have more than 100 posts I think they're safe!)

Yes, don't get worried if I offer you a jelly baby. :cold:

For those up for a practice ride, perhaps sometime in April/May (or both??). Doesn't have to be the full kaboodle, I guess, perhaps something like this: http://gb.mapometer.com/en/cycling/route_419346.html
Includes fair old chunk of the 100 miler (misses out Otterburn, Greenhaugh, Bellingham etc) but includes the caff at Elsdon ;) and the Ryals, of course.

Those coming out of Toon could (perhaps) meet in Ponteland. I can be waiting at Dyke Neuk.

abrooks100

Just signed up for Cyclone Challenge on the Saturday. I've took the leap and gone for the biggy, 104 miles. This will be my longest ride to date so need to get some serious training done. I live in Hartlepool if there is anyone else nearby maybe worth getting together to do some training.

Top Bottom