Not a good cycle day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stowie

Legendary Member
Up until now, I have managed, to avoid road rage incidents, but tonight was pretty terrible.

I was cycling towards Stratford (E London) one way system in the bus lane, and where the road-works are, the council has thoughtfully opened up the lane to all traffic. Most traffic doesn't know this, and sits in the slow moving traffic allowing the really impatient drivers to speed up the inside.

As soon as I turned the corner, I heard a horn going behind me and saw a car racing up the bus lane. The traffic was stopped and I stopped behind the car. Cue shouting and beeping from behind. I have had this before and indicated for him to go around me when I set off, but this enraged him and he just barged past me (forcing me nearly off the road) when the lights went green. I hit the car with my elbow or arm as it went past - it was that close. He stopped, reversed towards me and I ducked into the parking bay. After much shouting he drove off.

As is always the way I caught up with him minutes later and calmly (how, I don't know) said that his driving was a real problem, the bus lane was too narrow at the point to pass and I was trying to say I would pull aside after it. He was completely calm and apologised and said that I hit his car - which I said I didn't - his car hit me. Anyway we both apologised said it was a bad day and went our way.

I genuinely don't know what else I could have done. The aggression at the start was astonishing - and he drove his car at me in front of a bus station full of people. Short of not using the bus lane or the gyratory, I couldn't move aside at the point he was wanting to overtake.

It has taught me a few things

1) I will buy a camera. Next time I might actually be knocked off and I want evidence.
2) Stratford one way system is the worst road system I travel upon. Newham haven't got the first clue what they are doing with respect to cyclists (or probably don't care). I will try to find another way around it.
3) Taking primary and vehicular cycling is completely useless in cases like this. Not doing it, however, invites impatient drivers to take risks with your life and health.

I have just come back from Copenhagen. Driving there isn't great, but cyclists are treated with a respect we simply don't have. The taxi drivers wait before turning left for cyclists on their inside - they would be checking all the time for cyclists and sit behind them for ages if necessary.

What to do? I came back wanting to give up cycling around the area.

BSRU

A Human Being
The reversing at you sounds more like attempted assault with a deadly weapon, if there is such a crime.

I would have reported it with or without a camera, he seems like a very dangerous road user.

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
The reversing at you sounds more like attempted assault with a deadly weapon, if there is such a crime.

I would have reported it with or without a camera, he seems like a very dangerous road user.

The incident was bad. I haven't got the reg plate - forgot it in the heat of everything, and the guy was actually apologetic when I caught him again. Which makes the whole thing even more astonishing - that he seemed somewhat reasonable a couple of minutes afterwards, but had decided to drive at me for no reason at all 5 minutes beforehand.

There are plenty of dangerous road users around this gyratory. Astonishingly his wasn't the worst driving I have seen (a car doing a very serious speed using the same bus lane whilst weaving between cyclists and buses). Speeding on the A11 into Stratford is endemic, there is a 30mph flashing sign which is flashing every car.

Tynan

Veteran
I go home that way most days and have no problem with it at all, yes the roadworks are a nuisance but I take a rock solid primary in the bus lane all the way round

If there isn't space to pass you safely, that's the whole point of riding primary

those flashing signs actually do flash every car don't they? almost regardless of speed?

Alan Whicker

I've had a couple of similar incidents in Stratford. Hateful place for cyclists (and scooterists too, which I often am). I've started going west-east via Victoria Park Hackney Wick and Ruckholt Road to avoid the place.

Also, red-light jumping by cars is practically the norm in Newham, which doesn't help. The pedestrian crossing outside the station is particularly bad. I'm also sure I read that the borough has the highest percentage of illegal drivers in the UK.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about this, stowie.

Gyratories are a serious problem for cyclists and adopting a central lane position certainly does not give you a protective force-field. Incidents such as the one you have described will happen and, whilst defensive cycling will help, you are still v vulnerable in these kinds of situations.

It's a sad indictment on the state of cycling in Newham that you have to adopt psychological coping strategies (as well as defensive cycling tactics) in order to get you through your cycle to and from work...

I imagine the alternative routes are unappealing?

OP
OP
stowie

stowie

Legendary Member
Sorry to hear about this, stowie.

Gyratories are a serious problem for cyclists and adopting a central lane position certainly does not give you a protective force-field. Incidents such as the one you have described will happen and, whilst defensive cycling will help, you are still v vulnerable in these kinds of situations.

It's a sad indictment on the state of cycling in Newham that you have to adopt psychological coping strategies (as well as defensive cycling tactics) in order to get you through your cycle to and from work...

I imagine the alternative routes are unappealing?

I use the gyratory because I often need to get along the A11 - I could use the contraflow, but this is no good if I am turning up on of the feed-in roads (such as Angel road to Leyton).

I could use Ruckholt road and the Eastway, but this has been chock with roadworks which means either a challenging ride in fast traffic or picking my way through stationary traffic in gridlock (depending on the time). Depending on where I am coming from means this may be quite a diversion as well. The cycling isn't to a fixed place of work, but normally to do chores, shopping, picking up parcels (work at home a lot, and get deliveries going to various depots) and so on. Honestly, because of the nature of my cycling, I tend to stick to the bigger roads as I know where I am going on these.

The Olympic area is absolutely crap for cycling at the moment, in my opinion. Which is ironic since it is supposed to be promoting health, sport, sustainability etc. in the local area...

Top Bottom