Not a good start.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BusDriver

So i've started riding to work on my Raleigh Oakland. I fitted my Marathon plus tyres and pumped them up to 70 psi. After a couple of trips i noticed that the rims had splayed out and the tyres were coming off the rims. A quick trip to a couple of LBS' and they confirmed that my rims were knackered and they may as well have been made out of plasticine. I phoned Raleigh and they sent me a couple of replacements. stuck them on and the same happened. I'm now looking for a couple of decent wheels but i'm on a tight budget. Not a good start.:angry:

I thought it might have been the tyres so i tried some different to no avail.

yello

Something sounds odd here - new rims made of plasticine? Hmmm.... raleigh's standards may be slipping... but not that much!

Are you sure the tyres are the right size?

RedBike

This is appalling. If the rims can't withstand 70psi what would happen if you put your brakes on hard?

I think you need a set of wheels that are capable of taking a six speed freewheel. If you're on a budget there's only going to be non branded budget sets available.

OP
OP
B

BusDriver

It is only a 6 mile round trip to and from work. I couldn't see the point of spending a fortune just for that.

PBancroft

It is a £140 bike.

With all due respect, the last time I checked £140 was still a fair bit of money.

When I was in Uni about eight years ago I rode a £75 Halfords bike. Nothing went wrong with it. Sure, it was heavy, but it was also as solid as they come. Now the wife rides it (about a half mile every other month).

I would be tempted to complain to Raleigh again. It would seem to me that the bike isn't fit for purpose - i.e., to be actually used.

For £140 you shouldn't expect the best bike in the world, or the lightest, or one that would withstand a few knocks and scrapes. But you should expect one which will do what it is supposed to.

OP
OP
B

BusDriver

I work 10 hour days 6 days a week. I don't really have time to start with Raleigh.
How much should a couple of wheels cost? I went into an LBS and he quoted me £90 with quick release. Havent got a clue if that's good or bad.

PBancroft

Out of interest, have you spoken to your employer about a cyclescheme they may offer?

http://www.cyclescheme.co.uk/

Let's assume you get another bike at £140 - it would actually cost you closer to £80. That's less than your new wheels.

Now of coursethat would be silly - if you can get a better bike, do. User is right on one count - the more you spend, the better the machine. So let's say your budget is still £140. You could find a bike with an RRP of about £240 instead.

Something to think about at least.

RedBike

Just had a look around. Most quick release threaded rear wheels are approx £35( and the same again for a matching front wheel.) Therefore, £90 with fitting isn't too bad.

Still seems like a lot of money on what are rather low end parts. £100 on wheels would normally get you a set of Shimano 105 Askiums, etc (If they'd fit your bike).

Moondog

Sorry to read of your problems BusDriver.

You really only have one course of action IMHO.

The bike is not really fit for purpose and you have to persue the LBS with whom you have your legal contract of purchase.Raleigh are not really involved.There is a separate legal agreement between Raleigh and your LBS.

Read www.berr.gov.uk/Consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html Think it will help.

Good luck

N

I bought a Raleigh Tundra a couple of years ago (when I knew even less about bikes than I do now) and the problems with it were endless - some admittedly caused by Halfrauds, but some done to basic manufacturing faults from Raleigh such as faulty headsets and missing bearings (friend bought same bike and had the same problems). At the time I thought Raleigh was a traditional quality brand - I have definitely revised my opinion on that one!!! The bike was half price then, i.e. only £120, but for me that was (and still is) a lot of money, and while I wasn't expecting top of the range gear, I was still expecting a working bike... :angry:

OP
OP
B

BusDriver

I've contacted head office about CycleScheme. However it could take months for them to organise it. Employee contracts would have to be re-written. and we have over 1000 employees (largest bus company in europe) so as you can imagine i have a long wait. I'm still waiting to hear from them about joining.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Moondog said:
Sorry to read of your problems BusDriver.

You really only have one course of action IMHO.

The bike is not really fit for purpose and you have to persue the LBS with whom you have your legal contract of purchase.Raleigh are not really involved.There is a separate legal agreement between Raleigh and your LBS.

Read www.berr.gov.uk/Consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html Think it will help.

Good luck

N

Agreed. Sort it with your LBS. Personally I'd be pushing to have my money back.

snorri

Legendary Member
Definitely go back to your lbs. If you feel uncomfortable about approaching them, take a friend along, they cannot be allowed to take £140 off you for a bike that is useless.:tongue:

OP
OP
B

BusDriver

I bought it mail order. As i said i haven't got time go for phone calls and hastle. I work 6 days a week between 10 and 13 1/2 hour days and i only get a few hours a week so spend with my family.. I'm going to have to go to an LBS and get a couple of decent wheels when i get an hour.

Top Bottom