Not another helmet post

Why have you (or would you) contribute to a helmet post

• I wear a helmet and try to justify my position because I am envious of those who don't

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't wear a helmet and try to justify my position because I feel guilty

• I am fearful of a head injury and post to try to guage whether my fear is rational or not

• It is a controversial area and I enjoy winding people up

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • It is a controversial area and I enjoy the academic nature of the discussion

Votes: 19 55.9%
  • I enjoy telling other people what to do

• It is none of your business - I will post what I like

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • I don't post on helmet threads (including this one)

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesMorgan

I have watched with some amusement over the past few days on the growing number of helmet posts, often containing some quite heated exchanges. I'm not particularly interested in the actual debate, but I'm curious as to why it generates so much interest. Debates on other safety measures (eg eye protection, suncream, knee/elbow protectors etc) would hardly generate any interest. We have very few cyclists suffering serious head injuries so it is not driven by an outcry as to all the needless deaths. So I can only conclude that contributors to these debates are not doing so for entirely rational reasons, but perhaps driven by more base emotions (eg guilt, envy, fear). So, be honest, why have you posted on a helmet thread. Or if you don't feel brave enough to be honest, you can always tell me it's none of my business (which I guess 90% of posters will!)

Dan B

Disengaged member
I voted "academic", although if you'd posted the same question about RLJ threads I'd have to admit to "winding people up"

tyred

Legendary Member
It's funny but although I tend to enjoy reading helmet debates and seeing all the different points of view, I rarely post on them myself.

I do own a helmet but haven't worn it in about two years. People should be free to do as they please.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I tend to wait until the first "a helmet saved my life" or "I work in A&E" post before I wade in. I enjoy the topic as well as "riding with headphones" and am always happy to give my opiniated viewpoint.:whistle:

yello

It is a debate that interests me, not the subject itself per se though it is a good of example of a subject that gives rise to the thing that interests me - that is, objective/subjective, context and perspective.

People want an answer. A definitive, pocket sized, one size fits all answer. Not just to the helmet question either, to many aspects of their lives. People (myself included) like certainty and security.

The helmet debate, and the research thereon, is too fragmented imho. Perhaps it's still in its infancy, I don't know. Much of what is said as 'fact' is only factual within it's context. Whether it applies to your world or not is for you to decide.

I am convinced that a helmet would protect me from certain types of injury. No question. Whether it is likely, or even possible, that I'd have an accident that'd lead to that type of injury is entirely another question. Would a helmet be of any use in the type of accident I'm most likely to have? Dunno.

Some folk are adamant that they can provide a simple answer. I don't think you can until the subject is reviewed more generally, more broadly than simply dropping a spike on the top of a bit of styrofoam (or whatever tests are used).

It's those kind of debates that I like. Debates that actually revolve party around what is it that is being discussed. You have to aware of the context of any argument. The context may be too narrow and so effectively negate any result coming from the debate.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I think you are right Yello there is no simple answer. I came off my bike in the ice 100 metres from setting off from home and did not bang my head. Yet after wheeling my bike back and home and walking to the bus stop I went ass over tit and cracked my head on the ground. I could summise that in my experience walking is more dangerous than cycling however we all know that is not the case.

I did get very irate with James Cracknell's comment that anyone who does not ride a helmet is selfish however it was my own fault for watching "The One Show"

Freedom of choice is the real winner

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have watched with some amusement over the past few days on the growing number of helmet posts, often containing some quite heated exchanges. I'm not particularly interested in the actual debate, but I'm curious as to why it generates so much interest. Debates on other safety measures (eg eye protection, suncream, knee/elbow protectors etc) would hardly generate any interest. We have very few cyclists suffering serious head injuries so it is not driven by an outcry as to all the needless deaths. So I can only conclude that contributors to these debates are not doing so for entirely rational reasons, but perhaps driven by more base emotions (eg guilt, envy, fear). So, be honest, why have you posted on a helmet thread. Or if you don't feel brave enough to be honest, you can always choose the last option (which I guess 90% of posters will!)

Pretty crap OP and pretty crap poll choices.....C minus must try harder

Cubist

Still wavin'
I wear a helmet. It's my choice. I don't give a toss what others think. I don't post on helmet threads. I make my kids wear theirs when cycling off road.

byegad

Legendary Member
None of the above. I don't give a monkey's whether or not you wear a helmet, but I won't be told to do something I believe to be of doubtful benefit which will reduce the number of cyclists on the road and so endanger me when I'm on the road.

There is safety in numbers. Helmet compulsion will reduce numbers. I'll be less safe.

Norm

Option 132: I wear a helmet sometimes and couldn't give a wotsit whether anyone else does or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom