Not another how many Lumens question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
You could melt tarmac with the power of that light, fry an egg or have some one's eyes out :tongue:. Be careful where you point it :tongue:.

Depends what you compare 1600 lumens with. Compared to your normal Cateye fare, then...oh yes indeedy xx(:eek::angry:

However, compared to the Super Nova SN 2005ap it just doesn't cut it.

There would be other advantages to having SN2005ap as your main light. It would vaporise all the traffic in front of you, enabling you to have a stress free, if somewhat slightly warm, noisy and radiation filled journey.

However, there are those that suggest that using SN2005ap as a rear light is more useful. Not only would you find yourself traveling slightly faster due to the nuclear explosive forces propelling you forwards, you would also have the added benefit of the velocity induced redshift meaning that you wouldn't even have to place a red filter on your SN2005ap light for it to pass the current BS standards with regards to colour.

These are all things you should keep in mind when choosing your lights.....

gaz said:
Whats the clamp like on the SN 2005ap? i heard it was pretty bad.

Aye, you need to get a hold of some negative energy clamps to keep it in place. Unfortunately, no-one has yet discovered negative energy, and as far as I am aware no-one has actually managed to get any negative energy into clamp form, so they are a wee bit hard to come by. However, I believe Wiggle might have some stock on pre-order (from this company) which will be shipped out to you as soon as they become available.

Ah, I never thought of doing that. I'm just worried if i do it wrong, I'll end up getting my fingers burnt....

Coco

magnatom said:
Unfortunately, no-one has yet discovered negative energy...

Not true! I've got a whole team of people who run on this stuff. Never seen so little done with so many people :angry:

RedBike

Trumpettom001 said:
So - I'm replacing my Lights - are 1600 lumens fairly bright??

Are you sure the lights 1600 lumens?

A few of the cheaper chinease torches now claim to give 1600 lumen
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-Mode-T6-160...ing_LightsLanternsTorches?hash=item27ae1f5ad3
but there's very few dedicated cycle lights that put out that sort of brightness. The ones that can certainly aren't cheap.

I can't imagine those Chinease torches lasting very long at that sort of brightness running from just 2/3 x CR123A batteries.
I would be tempted to either drop the brightness (400lumens is still bright!) or go for something with a wopping big battery pack like this.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brightstar-24...isure_Cycling_Bike_Lights?hash=item3efcf1b9cd

OP
OP
Trumpettom001

Trumpettom001

RedBike, you are correct - that's the exact torch I ws planning on using.... well, two in fact - angled a couple degrees apart. I'm not too fussed about battery life, as I've been playing with model planes for years now, and am quite handy with engineering/electronics... (I'm thinking 2000mAh LiPo with LCD monitor)

I'll be using it exclusively off road, I'm not too worried about blinding car drivers, as I shall be nowhere near the things.

And to Magnatom - please could you inform me before you post rather hilarious stuff like that - I'm mopping fennel tea off of my chin, to the great hilarity of my little brother....

Trumpettom001 said:
P.s. Mag - that was supposed to be a compliment - probably came out a bit wrong...

I can't understand why you find this funny? :thumbsup: It's a serious discussion by serious (Bonj TM) cyclists. :girl::smile:

RedBike

Trumpettom001 said:
RedBike, you are correct - that's the exact torch I ws planning on using.... well, two in fact - angled a couple degrees apart. I'm not too fussed about battery life, as I've been playing with model planes for years now, and am quite handy with engineering/electronics... (I'm thinking 2000mAh LiPo with LCD monitor)

I'll be using it exclusively off road, I'm not too worried about blinding car drivers, as I shall be nowhere near the things.

And to Magnatom - please could you inform me before you post rather hilarious stuff like that - I'm mopping fennel tea off of my chin, to the great hilarity of my little brother....

Have you thought about a small helmet mounted light and one bright bar light instead of two bright bar mounted lights? - Sort of copying the Exposure joystick (which is 'only' 240lumens)

One light giving out 1600lumens should be plenty, nevermind two!

I've found having a small light pointing exactly where i'm looking, in combination with a bar light, is far more effective than just a super bright handlebar light on technical trails. It allows you to light up the areas that aren't straight infront of the bike. Like tight bends, dips in the trail ect.

Top Bottom