Not green

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

I've recently started cycling to a university's centre for 'postgraduate studies and consferences'. There is no cycle shed, no showers and no drying room for wet clothes. There are some railings outside the main entrance, but chaining bikes to them is banned. The buildings are surrounded by a huge car park which is full to bursting every day, and the all the reception desk staff know about cycling to the place is that chaining bikes to the railings is strictly forbidden.

On my first day there a large TV screen at reception listing the courses being run that day. One of them was called 'Environmental Education for Secondary Teachers'.

Needless to say, the university's green policy is described on its website in the most glowing terms.

Well callenge them to prove what they are saying.

I would

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Simoncc...if ever there was a person with a natural gift to repeatedly tackle an issue with dogged determination and absolutely never give-up...then it's you. Also, after all the endless debates here about climate change I'me certain you know all the arguments. They'll soon wish they'd never met you... give them hell ;)

domtyler

Über Member
To be fair to the institution, a 'Green Policy' has bugger all to do with cycling. It is about publishing a page on a website that outlines how the institution is 'saving the planet' by not doing something that it wasn't going to do anyway.

For instance, I am 'saving the planet' this week by cutting my use of international and internal UK flights to zero.

Here's a good one...

Leeds Met University have recently been voted the greenest university in the UK
http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/the_news/may07/greenuni.html

What they don't mention is that during the Graduation Ceremonies, the cycle bins on campus are shrouded with custom-built wooden boxes, because they are considered 'unsightly' by the VC. This prevents staff who cycle to work using these bins for the duration of the ceremonies. It also costs man hours, wood and paint.

If it was down to the VC we wouldn't have bins at all.

The recycling bins are also shrouded.

Plus despite chronic parking problems, nothing is ever done to pursuade or prevent students not coming to university in their BMWs.

domtyler

Über Member
Disgruntled Goat said:
Here's a good one...

Leeds Met University have recently been voted the greenest university in the UK
http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk/the_news/may07/greenuni.html

What they don't mention is that during the Graduation Ceremonies, the cycle bins on campus are shrouded with custom-built wooden boxes, because they are considered 'unsightly' by the VC. This prevents staff who cycle to work using these bins for the duration of the ceremonies. It also costs man hours, wood and paint.

If it was down to the VC we wouldn't have bins at all.

The recycling bins are also shrouded.

Plus despite chronic parking problems, nothing is ever done to pursuade or prevent students not coming to university in their BMWs.

Excellent, I think the VC's quote says it all about green policies actually:

“We are grateful for the recognition from People and Planet as the environment matters greatly to our students, staff, governors and partner organisations. Our university's statement of vision and character commits us to striving to become an 'environmentally-friendly and sustainable community'"

In other words a meaningless waste of space, time and effort.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I am studying at MSc at Reading University. We have plenty of bike stands, but nothing like showers or lockers you can stash cycling clothes or helmets in.

In other ways the university is doing their bit.

domd1979

Veteran
An article in the Journal of Transport Geography not long back concluded that the CO2 impact of attracting growing numbers of international students to universities (study was based on Manchester) was at odds with stated environmental policy. The flights taken by international students throughout the year exceeded emissions from commuting during the year by up to 48 times.

OP
OP
S

simoncc

Fab Foodie said:
Simoncc...if ever there was a person with a natural gift to repeatedly tackle an issue with dogged determination and absolutely never give-up...then it's you. Also, after all the endless debates here about climate change I'me certain you know all the arguments. They'll soon wish they'd never met you... give them hell ;)

I won't be there long enough or often enough to care. I just lock my bike to the railings and get told by the receptionist that it's not allowed and it must be moved. I smile and ignore her. So far, so good.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Disgruntled Goat said:
That's Vice Chancellor Professor Simon Lee!

Do you know him?

I've read about him in Private Eye. Sounds like a right twat. Our new one is alright. But that's not enough to stop me leaving...

Top Bottom