Not Much Improvement?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beancounter

It's exactly one year since I took up cycling again after a gap of several years.

I started off doing regular half hour sessions on an old turbo trainer, then I started going out on the road but on my old mountain bike, then I bought a new road bike, then I got a commuting bike. In all I've done about 3,500 miles in the year.

On the plus side, I've lost a stone and a half in weight (down to 12 stone), my resting pulse has dropped by about 10% (now low 50's) and my blood pressure has dropped a little to 120/80 (about normal, I think).

Slightly disappointingly, my longest ride has been about 60 miles and I just don't seem able to get beyond that. Also, my turbo trainer sessions indicate I'm only about 10% fitter than when I started (measured by how far I go in a half hour session for a given effort i.e. average heart rate).

I expected better. Was i wrong to do that? Perhaps I'm now just too old to see a marked improvement (obviously I'm sticking at it, though).

Any ideas or guidance would be appreciated.

bc

jay clock

Massive member
my longest ride has been about 60 miles and I just don't seem able to get beyond that.
is that a physical thing? are you so knackered at 60 miles that you cannot go on? sounds more mental than physical to me. Do an organised ride? Arrange to cycle to a pub 35 miles away and then cycle back after a nice lunch?

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

jay clock said:
is that a physical thing? are you so knackered at 60 miles that you cannot go on? sounds more mental than physical to me.

No, it's a physical thing - I'd ride all day if I was able to!

My initial intention was to "force" my body to use as much fat as possible during a ride. So I was doing 3 and 4 hour rides without eating anything before or during the ride. This is how I lost the weight/fat. I got very tired but didn't actually "bonk" - I do know what bonking feels like!

Now I'm eating something during a ride but the least I can get away with.

bc

jay clock

Massive member
eat more. I weigh about 88kg and am trying to shift another 10 kg (was 105 at peak)! If I cycle 60 miles, that is about 3300 cals for me (see here http://www.bikejournal.com/calories_calc.asp )

In terms of weight loss, each pound of weight lost requires a NET reduction of 3500 cals. So assuming you are male and weigh about what I do, eating the recommended 2500 cals per day and cycling 60 miles(thus burning 3300 cals) you would lose a pound.

There is more to it than that, and I would suggest not massively decreasing your intake. If you keep the NET consumption at 2000 cals that is 500 a day deficit and a pound a week weight loss. That would mean that on a 60 mile day you could an extra 2800 cals over your base 2500 and still lose weight

Do eat little and often, and don;t underdo it! Also on days when I do a long ride, or when touring, I find the hunger stays for the next day or more (or perhaps I just get into the habit of eating and want to repeat it.

In summary on a 60 mile ride with little or nothing extra to eat I would bonk quite readily.....

jay clock

Massive member
Just to add that if I log every calorie I consume, and keep it about 2200, I do something every day which burns about 700 cals and lose weight consistently. I swim 3 times a week (about 2km each time), run 2-3 time (running for me is 100cals per km, and I typically run 7-8km) and I cycle about 22km 2-3 times a week. On Saturdays I often do a 45km round trip to swimming and make sure to eat plenty to catch up.

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

Yep good advice, and I do understand the calculations around calories in/out.

I'd like to lose another half stone or a stone, but will need to address my eating habits again!

The major disappointment was the level of fitness, though - only 10% improvement? I really expected better.

bc

I did 62 miles yesterday, longest ride for a while, and felt tired all day and was constantly yawning. I struggle to do these distances on my own.
If riding with others though, I can easily reach over 100, so the distance thing is purely in my head.
Have you tried entering an event or something so you HAVE to go the distance?

tyred

Legendary Member
I must admit that I'm disappointed with the weight loss from my cycling. I bought my cycle computer in July and have apparently covered 900 odd miles since then but have only lost about 2 lb. My diet is pretty much the same as before I started. But I do feel so much fitter than before I started which I suppose is the important thing

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

cheadle hulme said:
Have you tried entering an event or something so you HAVE to go the distance?

No I haven't, but I'll tell you what else I do - my rides tend to be a basic 40 mile loop with other 5 or 10 mile loops tacked on, depending on how I feel on the day. That means I can cop out pretty much any time.

I must force myself to do 40 miles out, then I'm obliged to do 40 miles back - hey presto, 80 mile ride.

bc

jimboalee

Beancounter.

What you were doing was "Fasted Lipolysis" or 'running on fat'.

This is only good for TWO hours if you are keeping Randonneur pace.
At a slower Populaire pace, you will get through 100km without need for food, but you WILL feel knackered. Knackered enough for eating to be uncomfortable.

This is how I lose 1lb of fat weight in an afternoon.:biggrin:

I have developed a distance - kCals curve where short rides don't need food, to long rides which require 100% energy replacement.
100km requires approx. 50% of the theoretical kCals demand. So if the books say 2500 kCals, I eat 1250..:biggrin:

tyred said:
I must admit that I'm disappointed with the weight loss from my cycling. I bought my cycle computer in July and have apparently covered 900 odd miles since then but have only lost about 2 lb. My diet is pretty much the same as before I started. But I do feel so much fitter than before I started which I suppose is the important thing
There's a lot of variables involved, I guess .. how heavy / fit you were before you started, how good / bad your normal diet is and so on.

For example, I've lost around 10lb this year (covered a little under 2000 miles having taken up commuting in March), which isn't really much. But, I do eat a lot and I think I was building up quite a bit of muscle in my legs in the earlier weeks which offset the loss of fat to some extent ... I think this because much of the weight loss has come in the last few months, whereas I have been losing my waistline during the whole period. I'm now 3-4 inches less around the middle than I was a year ago.

And I feel much fitter, too. Many of my colleagues tell me I walk too fast now. And that's despite little short-ass legs. :wacko:

Ravenz

The improvements are there and are real.. but there is a danger here of getting despondent and demotivated.. so plan of action... can you get yourself a formal fitness assessment from somewhere.. a good PT at a local gym .. you need to set a few baselines and on that foundation perhaps a new training/weightloss plan, so that you continue to lose weight and encourage stamina.
Don't rely on technological gizmos to state how 'fit' you are .. a fitness professional has a wealth of fitness assessments he or she can carry out to give you a truer picture and also help with correct nutrition.

You have cracked 1 massive hurdle - give yourself a prize and don't allow any transitory disappointment to spoil the party!

OP
OP
beancounter

beancounter

Ravenz said:
The improvements are there and are real.. but there is a danger here of getting despondent and demotivated.. so plan of action... can you get yourself a formal fitness assessment from somewhere.. a good PT at a local gym .. you need to set a few baselines and on that foundation perhaps a new training/weightloss plan, so that you continue to lose weight and encourage stamina.
Don't rely on technological gizmos to state how 'fit' you are .. a fitness professional has a wealth of fitness assessments he or she can carry out to give you a truer picture and also help with correct nutrition.

You have cracked 1 massive hurdle - give yourself a prize and don't allow any transitory disappointment to spoil the party!

Take your point but...

I have quite a chronic lower back problem which means that cycling is all I can do, and I'm damn lucky to be able to do that at all, never mind for hours at a time. So gym work / weights / running etc. are all out.

I just need to persevere with the cycling and reassess my eating habits which have slipped back a little (and christmas approaches!)

bc

Top Bottom