Not Perfect

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Sadly I must say that the attitude of many cyclists seems to me to be one of "I'm better than you" and "it's always the other blokes fault". What I'm about to say will upset a lot of people and if I get thrown off the forum, well maybe the truth hurts.
First cyclists are NOT all perfect and car drivers always in the wrong. Second I suspect no more than 50% of cyclists have insurance so guess what if a car brakes hard [say for a child] and gets rammed by mr fixi with no brakes, who can easily do £200-300 damage or more who payes ?
No, the highway code is not law and you don't have to use cycleways BUT you do NOT have the right to use the pavement. You are classed as a vehicle and must obay traffic signals, now I have no problem with hopping off the bike and WALKING with the pedestrians but to simply dive off the road and peddle across as one dingbat did because he "didn't have time" or "didn't want to break his stride" nearly knocking my wife [who is disabled] over in the process, is just not on. Had I been closer I'm afraid he WOULD have stopped because I'd have punched him off his bike.
Lights. Sorry but the number of bikes with no form of lighting at all is amazing. One guy is lucky I missed him on a dark country lane with no street lighting, no lights on his bike [not even a reflector] wearing cammo gear ! No this doesn't affect pedestrians, guess what, they're on the PAVEMENT ! It's ok saying "it's the responsibility of the overtaker" but 1- if you'd rode into the back of a blacked out skip who's fault would that be ? and 2- we are big boys and girls, take some resposibility for your OWN safety.
Signals, ha, who needs 'em. Not most cyclists obviously. I followed one old boy in Lincoln once and his signals were brilliant, you knew EXACTLY what he was going to do but many highway hero's just don't bother.
Riding in a bunch and thus blocking a lane, why, ride in single file, is it SO hard ?
If I were to overtake a group of bikes then slow down to ten mph and delay them I'm quite sure I'd get a load of verbal abuse and gestures, so why is it not ok the other way aroud ?
The end is this, two wrongs will never make a right. Sure you can film the big bad car driver making a mistake BUT are you prepared to be filmed next time you just bob onto the pavement " only for a few yards, honest " or nip past a red light , or will you rely on the fact that with no registration it's easy to "get away with it " ?
This is not a perfect world, driving standards are poor. When I ride or drive I TRY to see the other guys point of view [sometimes I even manage it]. yes there are numptys out there and some who just shouldn't be on the road at all, but it isn't confined to one group only.
I DON'T defend stupid drivers but perhaps we need to clean up our own act AS WELL.
Sorry and no offence intended to anyone but that's how it seems to me.

BSRU

A Human Being
That is one hell of wandering rant for a newbie, unfortunately who ever it is aimed at, assuming they realise, will not give a sh1t.

It would have been better and more coherent if you had just complained about the idiot who almost collided with your misses as it just comes off as a "Daily Wail! rant and obscures that personal issue.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Lights etc ...fair does.
Riding in bunches? You are aware you're actually told NO MORE than 2 abreast, the speed limit is a limit, not a target? You're advised to ride wide etc to discourage overtakes when it would be dangerous?
What'd you rather do, try to pass 6 bike lengths riding 2 abreast, or 12 bike lengths single file - giving a safe passing distance?

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
You've been reading "How to lose friends & irritate people", right?

Most of the things that you've said irritate you about "cyclists" also irritate us. The irresponsible-types don't organise themselves on forums to discuss their pavement-riding, red-light-jumping antics. If you'd even bothered to do a quick search, then you'd find a number of threads from members here lambasting exactly that kind of behaviour.

So climb down from your (overly high) horse, and try not to let the door hit you in the ars* on your way out.

Cheers

calibanzwei

Most of the things that you've said irritate you about "cyclists" also irritate us. The irresponsible-types don't organise themselves on forums to discuss their pavement-riding, red-light-jumping antics. If you'd even bothered to do a quick search, then you'd find a number of threads from members here lambasting exactly that kind of behaviour.

This. If I bellowed at every pavement hogging, unlit, RLJ'er, I'd be hoarse by now.
Wrong place to be ranting my friend.

OP
OP
sidevalve

sidevalve

Über Member
First, to be clear I may be a newbie now but I was riding bikes before many on this forum { not all I hasten to add ] were a twinkle in daddys eye.
I agree that those who this is really aimed at may not listen but that is no reason not to try surely ?
I am also aware of the two abrest "rule" but it is blatently disregarded by many cyclists who should [and probably do] know better. Actually it IS easier to overtake a row of cyclists in single file [and I at least usually give 'em a wave for being so considerate] that is if you can drive and I admit many can't.
Perhaps I did try to squeeze too much into one post but I was trying to play devils advocate and give genuine examples of things I have seen first hand.
We must fight for cyclists rights but we need to be in the right first.

Bman

Guru
Sadly I must say that the attitude of many cyclists seems to me to be one of "I'm better than you" and "it's always the other blokes fault". What I'm about to say will upset a lot of people and if I get thrown off the forum, well maybe the truth hurts.
First cyclists are NOT all perfect and car drivers always in the wrong. Second I suspect no more than 50% of cyclists have insurance so guess what if a car brakes hard [say for a child] and gets rammed by mr fixi with no brakes, who can easily do 200-300 damage or more who payes ?
The cyclist does. Insurance or not.
No, the highway code is not law and you don't have to use cycleways BUT you do NOT have the right to use the pavement.
Not entirely true. Officially it is illegal, but the Home Office issued guidelines to police as to when to enforse it. If a cyclist is scared of traffic and chooses the pavement for safety reasons and cycles with respect to pedestrian users, the police will not prosecute. However the cyclist would be liable in the event of a collision.
You are classed as a vehicle and must obay traffic signals, now I have no problem with hopping off the bike and WALKING with the pedestrians but to simply dive off the road and peddle across as one dingbat did because he "didn't have time" or "didn't want to break his stride" nearly knocking my wife [who is disabled] over in the process, is just not on. Had I been closer I'm afraid he WOULD have stopped because I'd have punched him off his bike.
I would probably be tempted to do the same
Lights. Sorry but the number of bikes with no form of lighting at all is amazing. One guy is lucky I missed him on a dark country lane with no street lighting, no lights on his bike [not even a reflector] wearing cammo gear ! No this doesn't affect pedestrians, guess what, they're on the PAVEMENT ! It's ok saying "it's the responsibility of the overtaker" but 1- if you'd rode into the back of a blacked out skip who's fault would that be ? and 2- we are big boys and girls, take some resposibility for your OWN safety.
I agree. Cyclists cycling at night, without lights harms all cyclists reputation as a whole and is dangerous. I aways use lights (even in daylight) and carry a backup set during the dark months.
Signals, ha, who needs 'em. Not most cyclists obviously. I followed one old boy in Lincoln once and his signals were brilliant, you knew EXACTLY what he was going to do but many highway hero's just don't bother.
This also harms our reputation. We should follow the rules of the road if we want to be respected. Alas, some cyclists don’t care, just like some motorists.
Riding in a bunch and thus blocking a lane, why, ride in single file, is it SO hard ?
If I were to overtake a group of bikes then slow down to ten mph and delay them I'm quite sure I'd get a load of verbal abuse and gestures, so why is it not ok the other way aroud ?
If you understood the reasons behind why they cycle in this manner, you would understand why you received that reaction. Search the forum because I wont be arguing this point.
The end is this, two wrongs will never make a right. Sure you can film the big bad car driver making a mistake BUT are you prepared to be filmed next time you just bob onto the pavement " only for a few yards, honest " or nip past a red light , or will you rely on the fact that with no registration it's easy to "get away with it " ?
Yes. I am quite happy to be filmed and scrutinised by other road users. I obey the laws of the road and care about my personal safety, so ride accordingly.
This is not a perfect world, driving standards are poor. When I ride or drive I TRY to see the other guys point of view [sometimes I even manage it]. yes there are numptys
out there and some who just shouldn't be on the road at all, but it isn't confined to one group only.
I DON'T defend stupid drivers but perhaps we need to clean up our own act AS WELL.
Sorry and no offence intended to anyone but that's how it seems to me.

Was your rant too many characters for the Daily Mail comments section!? ;)

Paul J

Everyday I must come across a car driver that cuts me up, gives no room, etc. Am I bothered, not really as the first driver that gets out of his car for there incompetent driving skills I will not bother shouting abuse in retaliation, I will just "bob" them on the nose :boxing: for being such an inconciderate road user.

Its definately Friday:popcorn:

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I was recently out on a club ride in the peaks. A nice gentle downhill section, quite narrow. We were easily doing 30mph, probably more. Normally I would have doubled up, but I wasn't leading the ride of about a dozen of us. The road was similar to those you'd find in Cornwall. steep shoulder high sides with gentle twists. Trees growing at the tops of the verges.
I was shocked (?) when a mid sized red saloon decided to overtake. I'm thinking I can't see the lead rider, never mind if it's safe to overtake, approaching this right hander.
As suspected, there was something coming uphill.
Luckily it was just a 'near miss', which momentarily had 3 vehicles with no more than a foot between any adjacent. All at 30mph+
With this in mind, whether you'd rather pass 12 single file as opposed to 6 doubled up. I'll ride doubled and keep you behind me, when I deem appropriate.

Mad at urage

Dear Sidevalve
Sadly I must say that the attitude of many motorists seems to me to be one of "I'm better than you" and "it's always the other blokes fault". What I'm about to say will upset you, but well maybe the truth hurts.
First I'm glad you acknowledge that not all drivers are perfect, but car drivers often are in the wrong (do your own research for the statistics, they are out there). Second I have it on the authority of the MIB that 30% of motorists have NO insurance so guess what if a car brakes hard and gets rammed by Mr 'I Don't Need Insurance I'm So Great', which can easily do thousands of pounds worth of damage or even kill someone, who pays ? If one of this significant number of motorists hits a cyclist [who may be a child], who pays?
No, the highway code is not law and we don't have to use cycleways and we do have the right to use the pavement when in fear of our lives and riding responsibly (according to case law and the Home Office, even if many Police disagree). Personally I'd prefer to see all cyclists on the roads, but am frequently told by motorists to 'get on the cycle path', when the only path in the vicinity is a pedestrian pavement. I suggest you address this attitude from your fellow motorists first. As a motorist, you too are classed as a vehicle and must obey traffic signals, so why do I so frequently see motorists failing to stop at red lights (even overtaking me to cross on red)? I personally have no problem with sharing paths with pedestrians as I do so carefully, but to simply dive off the pavement into the road and walk in front of a cyclist as many dingbats do because they "don't have time" or "didn't see you bother to look" sometimes knocking the cyclist under a motor vehicle in the process, is just not on. I however refrain from inflicting violence on such challenged individuals because, well I'm just good like that.
Lights. Sorry but the number of motor vehicles with defective lighting or none at all is amazing. During the last month I have seen literally hundreds of cars with defective or no lights: I'm sure that you realise that cars with defective lighting are more dangerous than bicycles with defective lighting. Of course as a driver you are supposed to be able to stop in the distance you can see to be clear. Even on a dark country lane with no street lighting, you are supposed to be able to stop in the distance you see to be clear of unlit objects, even if they lack a reflector or bright clothing! I'm sure however you have complained elsewhere that Someone isn't doing Something about all those unlit badgers, deer and (shock horror) pedestrians.
Signals, ha, who needs 'em. Not most motorists obviously. Driving through any well-used junction, I see motorists failing to signal correctly and usually failing to signal: Why do you all do that?
Driving a car that blocks a whole lane: Why? Ride a motorcycle if you haven't got a passenger to occupy the space. Is it SO hard ?
I am frequently overtaken by motorists who then immediately slow down to ten mph or less and delay me. I don't give them a load of verbal abuse and gestures, but I'm bemused as to why they think they are going somewhere with all those cars blocking the lane in front (one person in each).
Indeed two wrongs will never make a right. We can easily film the frequent mistakes by car drivers, because most have no idea how to control a potentially lethal tonne or more of metal with significant horsepower to move it. Most indeed seem blithely unaware that they are operating potentially dangerous machinery and allow themselves to be distracted by conversations (on mobile 'phone or otherwise), which means that them making a mistake is inevitable. The potential consequences of such a mistake by a car driver are serious injury or death for nearby vulnerable road users; this is why it angers us (as someone carelessly endangering your wife angered you). I am quite you prepared to be filmed the next time I just bob onto the pavement " only for a few yards, honest " or nip past a red light (should I do such a thing), but whether or not I have registration it's easy to "get away with it " as motorists prove every day.
We all know that this is not a perfect world, we see daily evidence that driving standards are poor. When we ride or drive most of us TRY to see the other guys point of view [sometimes we even manage it]. There are numptys out there and some who just shouldn't be on the road at all, which definitely isn't confined to one group only.
I'm glad that you DON'T defend stupid drivers; But as you are suggesting that "we need to clean up our own act AS WELL", please clarify whether you are addressing the car driving community with this reflection?
Sorry and no offence intended to yourself but you seem a little confused to me.

Brandane

Legendary Member
From where I sit as a cyclist, motorcyclist, car driver and occasional HGV driver; it is not a case of cyclists v motorists. It is more a case of arrogant, selfish ar5es v "normal" people. Since motorists and cyclists represent such a wide cross section of society, you are always going to get arrogant to55ers on bikes, just as you do in cars (and on motorbikes, driving HGVs, buses etc..).

No matter what I am driving/riding, I always expect to meet idiots on the roads on all forms of transport. Sadly, my expectations are ALWAYS met, several times every day. We just have to learn to deal with it.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
Wel at least I learned one thing today which is being a newbie means your opinion is less valid or is it that long term posters opinions are more valid.

As for the op it was a bit rambling but has some truth in it for all that.

Top Bottom