Not sure about cycling to work now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm all ready to bike to work. First time on a bike for a long while and it's a 17 mile hilly - ish ride on an A road, for those who missed my thread last week on this subject. The trouble is ... it's 4.45pm. I don't start work until 7pm and I don't normally leave the house until 6.30pm. I haven't had the time to have anything to eat and I've got other stuff I need to do around the house.
When I was cycling to work in an urban environment and the choice was between an hour in the car in rush hour traffic or 20 minutes on the bike, it wasn't really a difficult choice. But faced with taking nearly two hours to get to work on the bike (including changing time) or just over half an hour in the car, plus the same again getting home ... I'm not sure that's realistic.
I think I'd quite enjoy cycling it once I got into the swing of it, but so far every day this week I've got to around this time and realised I'd actually rather have an extra hour and a half at home than spend it battling through the wind and the traffic. Should I just stop moaning and go and do it or have I got a point?:rolleyes:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Bluntly put - stop p*ssing about and get on your f*cking bike! :smile:

Scruffmonster

Über Member
I'd probably drive, then ride when I got home.

Though you must be flying in that car (or pushing that bike on foot) to do a 2 hour bike journey in half hour.

tyred

Legendary Member
Similar situation to myself really. I keep meaning to do my 46 mile round trip to work and home by bike at least a few times a week. I'm probably fitter than I have ever been, I know I can do the miles but am aware that it takes slightly less than half the time to drive as it does to cycle and most of it is on a very open country road through a valley which is guaranteed to have a head wind. The car wins! I always enjoy the drive as it's completely traffic free apart from the last mile or so but it is getting expensive with the cost of petrol at the moment.

I'd probably drive, then ride when I got home.

Though you must be flying in that car (or pushing that bike on foot) to do a 2 hour bike journey in half hour.

I don't know if it'd actually take me two hours on the bike, it's just that that's what I'm allowing myself because I'm unfit and slow. But I'd hope to do it in about an hour and a half and have half an hour left to get changed for work. Whatever, it'd still take me much longer on the bike. Maybe threebikesmcginty has a point ... :biggrin:

tyred

Legendary Member
If you're not sure how long it takes to cycle, perhaps you would be better and wait and do a recce on Sunday or some other day when you're not working.

Go for it, cycling outside rush hour will be far more enjoyable and just think the petrol cost you are saving, unless you eat a lot of energy/cereal bars/ bananas ;-) and after a while you'll get your time right down. You could also try alternate days driving/cycling, after a while you'll know what feels right for me it'd definitely be cycling, Good Luck :-)

Davidc

Guru
If its 17 miles thats 34 return, so probably costing about £6 just in fuel - thats £30 a week just for fuel with no new tyres, extra servicing etc., £1200 for 40 weeks! if you pay tax youre going to have to earn at least £1500 to get that. You could buy a reasonable new bike every year on those savings.

The downside I suppose is that the rate of return is only £2 an hour, but think how much fitter you'll be.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
the first time will be the hardest, drive to work with bike, then ride home. Gives you zero choice tomorrow!

Mad at urage

Think of all the gym time and costs that you are (virtually) saving. How much are other people paying for 2 - 3 hours workout?

On yer bike ! :hello:

Anyway, you know you'll feel guilty if you don't! :laugh:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I know where you're coming from.

If I did my full commute, it's 23 miles each way -plus add in the time taken getting a shower and getting changed and you're talking about easily 2 hours each way. On an average day it takes me 25-30 minutes driving in, 40-50 minutes driving back. Add in the fact I'd be totally knackered cycling that much each day and the fact that at least twice a week I have to be home by 5:00pm and invariably one other day I have to get home early, and cycling the full distance to work every day just becomes impractical.

While it's easy to say just go and do it, it really depends on how much time and other priorities you have. It's not always as simple as just get on your bike.....

A solution: Can you do half a commute? Can you park your car somewhere halfway (it's what I do) and cycle in? Or can you leave your car at work and cycle the full distance back, full distance the next day and then drive home later on? Obviously you know this, but it's not just the money saving/enjoyment of cycle commuting, it's the fact it's good for you healthwise as well.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I don't know if it'd actually take me two hours on the bike, it's just that that's what I'm allowing myself because I'm unfit and slow. But I'd hope to do it in about an hour and a half and have half an hour left to get changed for work. Whatever, it'd still take me much longer on the bike. Maybe threebikesmcginty has a point ... :biggrin:

Perfectly normal worries before a new long commute. As you've done so much cycling in the past I'm sure you'll be fine. You can only give it a go and it's the time of year for trying :thumbsup:.

Top Bottom