Numbness in left hand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
No smutty comments please still getting symptoms hours after a 50 miler today, change position the bars a lot not done that distance regularly put it down to just strain anyone else had similar symptoms ?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You haven't mentioned whether or not you have flat bars or dropped bars.

I found that using Specialized bar phat tape to add gell padding or using old innertubes as tape underlay on drop bars alleviated the problem.

On flat bars I now use anatomical grips.

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Yep, and the problem for me always stems back to my neck. After the quarterly check at the osteopath, a couple of click clicks and all is well for a while. Also, Saddle position seems spot on for me, but it may be help if I could only raise the handlebars just a little.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You haven't mentioned whether or not you have flat bars or dropped bars.

+1
on drops the reach ,width of bars and angle of the brake hoods are all contributory factors.

I used to suffer with numb hands untill i got my set up right , turned out for me at least i had the hood angle to extreme and it was compressing the nerve.Do you change position of your hands regularly ? this can help to relieve symptoms.
check this out as a starting point, i find the hand angle applies to both drop bars and flat bars using bar ends.
http://bikedynamics.co.uk/guidelines.htm

Keith Oates

Janner
I had a problem with the muscle on my left hand, between the thumb and fore finger, losing feeling and actually reducing in size. I went to a doctor and he advised to stop cycling and keep pressure off that part of the hand. The stop cycling was not an option I could follow but I made a concerted effort to change my riding position for the hands and have less weight on them during the rides. This resulted in the muscle growing back again, over a period of about 6 months and has since been OK. The comments above about the bar tape etc. are all good but also try to find a position where the weight on your hands is reduced when riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom