Numpty season again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jollyrog

A little bit of sunshine and they're back on the roads. I noticed that the volume of cyclists had gone right up this morning. Got stuck behind a couple of rusty chain wobblers on the commute in, but more noticeably at two different ASL junctions, I was cut up by women cyclists who had stopped on the left of the box, then wobbled off to turn right as soon as the lights changed.

The "keep left in the gutter, no matter what" mentality in full flow. And they wonder why they end up under HGVs.

The police were doing their HGV/bus nearside blind spot show at Clapham Common, so they obviously think the audience is right.

Roll on Winter.

slowride

Isn't more people riding/commuting by cycle a good thing? People may be inexperienced but they have to start somewhere...I guess I fall into this "numpty" category having just started the commute last Thursday

Aiden_23

+ 1, I would love to see more people on bikes,less people in cars and a nice friendly hello goes a long way. But I know how you feel its the same as the January Gym members,again nice to see but when they are hogging the bench talking to their mates makes me kind of mad:cursing:. I do see your point.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
At least there'll be someone on the road slower than me !!

I don't like it much when I'm stopped at a red light and other cyclists push in front... then hold me up when the lights go green.

There seems to be a judgment/pecking order about who'll be fastest away from the lights depending on who looks the sleekest/has the flashest bike.. still , it's good to see more cyclists out & about and commuting.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Tis my first cycle commute tomorrow morning so I blatantly fall into this thread :laugh:
Saying that my route is 90% rural so no one but some cows to see me get distracted by gear selection and make a bee line for the hedge.
Hope us newbies don't cause too many problems. :whistle:

Bluebell72

More cyclists on the roads has got to be better. Gives motorists something to think about and be aware of.
I saw loads when I was out this afternoon, the sun was out, so when we grinned at each other on passing there was already risk of getting flies in your teeth

A little bit of sunshine and they're back on the roads. I noticed that the volume of cyclists had gone right up this morning. Got stuck behind a couple of rusty chain wobblers on the commute in, but more noticeably at two different ASL junctions, I was cut up by women cyclists who had stopped on the left of the box, then wobbled off to turn right as soon as the lights changed.

The "keep left in the gutter, no matter what" mentality in full flow. And they wonder why they end up under HGVs.

The police were doing their HGV/bus nearside blind spot show at Clapham Common, so they obviously think the audience is right.

Roll on Winter.

Ah stop been a snob lol

We all started somewhere, I nearly got spattered a couple times when I started commuting due to (since stopped) bad habits that you learn to grow out of.

A lot of what I know comes from here, maybe its time to stick the cyclechat stickers on my rotund derriere!

caimg

Über Member
Agree with most, more cyclists is great! Unfortunately I've seen more RLJs cos of it. In the month I've been cycling again, I've seen more twatty cyclists than drivers, though I don't think any of the twatty cyclists are fair-weather or novice cyclists...

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

Roll on Winter.

No worries: when you'll post in the "I fell off" section, us slow coaches will post you our best wishes for a speedy recovery :laugh:

Aiden_23

Went for a 10 miler last night as was feeling good, had a bad incident with a driver kind of my fault should have took primary earlier,learned my lesson.Amazing all the other drivers waiting paitently behind me and overtaking in the other lane I gave an appreciative wave. I had 4 lights on my bike plus reflectors on and hi-vis aswell(Poor lighting on some of the roads) I seen a cyclist wearing all black,not a light or reflector,no hi-vis and was cycling along talking on his phone he didnt seem impressed when I roared "Your having a laugh mate!!!!!!" Some cyclist give us a bad name!!!!

Graham1426

More bikes the better as far as i'm concerned, we all have to start somewhere, instead of just watching these novices hug the gutter and putting themselves and others at risk, why don't you give them the benefit of your experience and point out the dangers of "curb hugging".
Then they may just stick to cycling, and not give up due to near misses.

More cyclist on the road can only be a good thing, lets encourage them not ridicule them.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I was one of these tentative newcomers last spring, nodding along on my Apollo. Now I'm a lycra clad, clipless BEAST who chews up at least 80 miles per week and spits them straight back out. Or something. The more the merrier, I say. Critical mass!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I was one of these tentative newcomers last spring, nodding along on my Apollo. Now I'm a lycra clad, clipless BEAST who chews up at least 80 miles per week and spits them straight back out. Or something. The more the merrier, I say. Critical mass!

Me scared of you! :cry: