Nutrition on a 65 mile ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulb55

Über Member
Hi All,

I am about to do a 65 miler and was wondering what to take to eat as i believe you should eat and drink often on a long ride so any tips out there

Thanks

Paul B

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Yes you should eat and drink on long rides or you will "Bonk". Get tired really quickly.

There are lots of energy type bars and gels for cyclists. As well as lots of energy drinks. What you take depends on the type of riding you are doing and how much you are happy carrying.

I make my own energy bars as I prefer them. Do a search for home made energy bars.

Drink a lot because you will dehydrate.

Steve

lulubel

Über Member
Foods like banana and flapjack are also popular. I've also heard of people taking jam sandwiches.

I'd generally eat something (about 200 calories or so) every hour on a ride that length, and drink about 500ml of fluid an hour. But everyone's fluid and nutrition needs are different, so you have to figure out what works for you.

If its your first 65 miler you should eat and drink a lot. Say every 20 miles or so whether you feel like you need it or not eat a banana or cereal bar and sip drink throughout and maybe consider pre hydrating sipping a pint of diluted juice or something before you go out. On regular fast club rides of around that distance or more I sometimes carry a banana but sometimes don't bother as we have a cafe stop about half way but drinking regular is always required.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not sure if this is a mad dash on a road bike or a gentle pootle on a tourer.

65 miles on a tourer and I would be in the pub for a pub lunch and a pint of best to wash it down.

Doesn`t really work with a road bike though.

Steve

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Half a malt loaf, cut into 4 slices with butter applied liberally. In addition, a cereal bar or 2, or perhaps a banana.

Top Bottom