Nuts and Bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
What sort of nuts and bolts are best for bike fittings like racks, mudguards, bottle cages, etc. I've built up a fair little stash of various types, threads and lengths but the quality is rather variable as I tend to save from old stuff. I quite fancied buying a supply so that they're all standard heads, and there seem to be some good deals on E-bay.

The tart in me would like to go with button head, allen key, in black, and a selection of lengths in M4/5/6...I'm not going to pay for titanium ones. But that's based on no knowledge whatsoever, I was looking at this pack of 100 on E-bay for £4.25:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M4--M5--M6--B...133467&cguid=b6f2c6941280a0e20572c412feb254b1

Are these ok or just cheap rubbish and, if so, what should I be looking for, head style, lengths and threads?

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Stainless steel are prob better as they're less likely to rust / corrode with the salt.

mark barker

Stainless are the way forward, and I always use nylock nuts to prevent anything working loose. Given the choice I'd go with a hex bolt just because they're far easier to tighten.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Stainless steel will not be black unless painted, which is highly unlikely. Black fasteners will almost certainly be high tensile or even mild steel. As stated by a previous poster, go for stainless every time. There are generally two types available commercially, A2 and A4. Without going into the why's and wherefores, A2 are perfectly adequate for any cycling application.

For a comprehensive selection and excellent service, try Stig's Fasteners.

gbb

Legendary Member
The downside to button head, while they look nice and unobtrusive compared with cap heads, is that you use a smaller allen key. Result...the hexagon easily gets rounded out when trying to undo tight or corroded (steel)bolts.

Stainless is the best option. Stainless button heads are ok mind, they're more likely to resist that rounding out, purely because they're stronger.

The ones in your link McB...in all probability, they'll be rubbish quality.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ah, fair enough guys, not the answer I was hoping for but it does make sense...once last stab though...what about anodised alloy bolts?

Zoiders

Not a fan of titanium bolts as they don't hold thread well, Ti - while having good tensile strength is no good for holding sharp edges.

Thats why they don't make knives from it, despite Ti being a "wonder material".

Stainless wins - but stainless will still rust with road salt - it's rust "resistant" not rust "proof".

Gixxerman

Guru
I use nickle plated ones that I nick from work.
We also have stainless and anodised ones that I can help myself to.
Working for a gas turbine manufacturing company has its advantages.

Top Bottom