NW Passage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona N

Veteran
Is anyone else signed up for the NW Passage Audax on 19th Feb? I know it starts in ColinJ's stamping ground.

I'm only down for the mini-version although I think I may try ride the whole thing later in the year as 'training'. Starting and finishing in Kirby Lonsdale - which is a fairly stiff ride from home - would turn it into a 150 miler of a day - a bit much for February conditions.

But I've booked up a whole series of audaxes through to June in an attempt to commit myself to P-B-P qualifying, and the mini-NW passage is formally "the start" (although not a qualifier in itself).

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I did the full NWP in 2007, but in typical ColinJ fashion, I decided to heavily modify the route because I didn't want to spend the whole day on busy A-roads.

Instead of taking the A682 and A65 from Gisburn to Settle, I rode minor roads via Wigglesworth and Rathmel. Then from Settle to Kirkby Lonsdale, I avoided most of the A65 again, by riding lanes through Keasden, High Bentham, and Burton-in-Lonsdale. I finally joined the A65 near Ireby and proceeded to Kirkby Lonsdale, a.k.a. Motorcycle Central! I thought the A683 to Caton was okay, but then I went cross-country again - Quernmore, Five Lane Ends, Street and Scorton. After that, a slightly modified route to Inglewhite and then I stuck to the official route back to Rochdale (except for a swift detour to avoid the HUGE roundabout at Whitebirk).

I decided that it was a bit much for my level of fitness at that time of year because I ended up riding in the dark for a few hours in the freezing cold. So, in 2008 and 2009 I rode an extended (and modified!) version of the mini-NWP route. I rode to Rochdale and back from Hebden Bridge as well as tackling the mini-NWP itself, taking the distance up to 104 miles. It meant that I got home at sunset, rather than after hours in the dark.

I stuck to the official route as far as Whalley, but chose to take a scenic route over the hill to New Inns on the way to the A6119 on the outskirts of Blackburn.

I wimped out in 2010 due to the freezing conditions but Svendo did it, and it was so cold that the water froze in his bottles! :eek:

I might tackle the extended mini-NWP again this year, but I'll wait until nearer the time to decide. I'd want clear, mild conditions if I was going to ride.

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran

I wimped out in 2010 due to the freezing conditions but Svendo did it, and it was so cold that the water froze in his bottles! :eek:

Gulp :wacko:

I might tackle the extended mini-NWP again this year, but I'll wait until nearer the time to decide. I'd want clear, mild conditions if I was going to ride.

You and me both, but I've got to start getting out on the road bike as opposed to slogging about the place on the mtb or 'enjoying' the call of the garage and the turbo :blush:

Ajay

Veteran
Ooopps
just started a new topic re this ride without seeing you'd already done it, silly me!
I agree with ColinJ, the route does stick to busy roads when quieter alternatives are close by, so I may well modify the route (conditions allowing).
I'm new to Audax, is this ok, providing I make the check points and stay within the time limits?

ColinJ

I agree with ColinJ, the route does stick to busy roads when quieter alternatives are close by, so I may well modify the route (conditions allowing).
Here's my alternative NWP route on Bikely. It takes in all the checkpoints and is over distance at 212 km.

I'm new to Audax, is this ok, providing I make the check points and stay within the time limits?

It's fine. The organiser has to put in enough checkpoints to make sure you do the full distance. If there is a big hill that they want you to go over or some other 'feature' like that, then they would be a checkpoint at the summit.

With my longer and slower route, I was the about last rider to the checkpoint at Kirkby Lonsdale and the controllers there were starting to get worried about me because I'd lost so much time on everyone else. When I told them what I was doing, they were gobsmacked and one of them said "What's up lad - ain't it 'ard enough for yer?" ;)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm entering the mini one (if I get round to sending the form off
blush.gif
). It will be my first audax so I'm looking forward to it, but I would like to get rid of the ice before then.

ColinJ

I'm entering the mini one (if I get round to sending the form off
blush.gif
). It will be my first audax so I'm looking forward to it, but I would like to get rid of the ice before then.
I'm waiting until nearer the time to check the weather forecast. I entered last year but didn't end up riding.

If the weather is okay, there could be quite a few CC riders doing the min-NWP so perhaps some of us could do what we did in previous years and ride round together?

Crimmey

This is one of the few 'social' rides I did last year and as Colin said it was terribly cold. I remember having to keep my eyes open otherwise they froze shut around Bolton by Bowland. Myself and another guy got lost near the cement works around Clitheroe but found a great, cheap truck stop at an industrial park with miles of boiling hot radiators! Also got lost in Blackburn but by some miracle we met some other NWP'ers at a crossroads on opposite sides. One I'll never forget.

Ill probably enter on day as I only live a short ride away. I'm getting soft too, this cold weather is keeping me indoors.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I last rode this about 15 years ago. I do remember the main roads, though not any problems with traffic - perhaps that's changed these days.

Ajay

Veteran
::
I'm waiting until nearer the time to check the weather forecast. I entered last year but didn't end up riding.

If the weather is okay, there could be quite a few CC riders doing the min-NWP so perhaps some of us could do what we did in previous years and ride round together?
I'd be up for that! :biggrin:

Svendo

Guru
Hi, I'll probably enter on the day and I'll decide which route depending how fit I feel. The 'mini' route although not long by Audax standards is still a fair old way at that time of year.
So far not been out at all since mid december other than the 3 miles to work. I have managed to do an hour most days on the turbo since new year though.

ColinJ

I'm still aiming to do it, but given my lack of winter miles, if I do I'll probably catch the train to and from Rochdale for once rather than adding 29 miles to the 75 of the event itself.

Top Bottom