O.T. Digital Camera (S.L.R)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Your lens, etc for your Canon EOS will fit a Canon digital SLR. I have the 350D and its a good camera although I've never used half the features on it.

Melvil

Hi Maggot,

The EOS series has a motor drive fitted into the body (unlike my own camera, that D40x) so it will be able to autofocus your old lenses. However, depending on how old your lenses are, it might not be able to take automatic light metering. It just depends. Also, the sensor on a digital SLR is about 1 and a half times smaller than 35mm film, which means that your lens focal lengths will be multiplied by 1.5 (e.g. if you have a 17-70mm lens, it will act more like an approximately 28-105mm lens) - this is not especially handy for wide-angle and you may also get some vignetting on the edges of your shots.

To get around this you can buy a digital 'full frame' camera, which has a sensor size that is pretty much the same as 35mm film. This will eliminate any cropping issues. However, full frame digital cameras are still rather expensive (in the £000's).

My advice would be to get thee down to the local camera shop with your old lenses and ask the assistant if he'll let you fit them on to a shop Canon EOS body just to see if they work OK.

Anyway, hope this helps.

Mel.

Evilcat

I went from a film EOS10 to the 10D. All my lenses worked apart from one rather crappy old Sigma. As Melvil says, you need to be aware of the sensor size issue -- having said that full frame sensor cameras are coming down in price. I'm drooling over the EOS5D Mk II at the moment, however it would seriously deplete my Roubaix SL2 + Dura-Ace Di2 fund!

EC

Top Bottom