O2 outage is BBC TV news lead story.

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Brandane, 6 Dec 2018.

1. Brandane

Brandane Fair weather cyclist.

Seriously; is this the most important news story of the day?
    Clearly the BBC think so. Well I suppose it makes a change from Brexit.

LarryDuff likes this.
  2. sheddy

sheddy Guru

maybe it's a Pb story ?

3. Jimidh

Jimidh Über Member

Affects Millions of people across the UK and nothing much else new is happening so I can understand that.

4. The technology for hundreds of businesses and the prime communication for thousands of workers including a large number of zero hour and contractors who’ll lose a days earnings that many can’t afford.

There seems to be a number of retirees on this site who don’t seem to realise that technology that has come along recently is not only for frivolity. Just because you’re out of the work environment huge numbers of people rely of new technology that is not relevant to you.

Hahaha. No Facebook. No tweets. No orders. No earnings. No idea how bills can be paid if earnings are lost. But haha funny eh if that doesn’t affect you.

I hope when I’m retired I’ll not be like a few here who laugh at the problems that no longer affect me but can easily make people in a desperate position harder. Stupid people for being poor no doubt.

5. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

All eggs in one basket, not a good way to run your life or business.

6. The people who are most at risk will have no control over this. The delivery driver I spoke to today who was struggling has no control over the IT protocol and redundancy of his employer.

C R, mjr, Fab Foodie and 5 others like this.
  7. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

I'm not so sure that two baskets is a viable proposition financially or technically in many cases.

8. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Isn't Ageism a Hate Crime these days?

dave r likes this.
  9. Anyone who thinks the suffering of others as funny should be ashamed of themselves. Just because people are no longer in employment laughing at those just about staying out of poverty but having a horrendous day because they’ve lost earnings today is nasty.

To wilfully conflate these very real problems with people not being able to use Facebook or twitter is at best ill informed snd at worst nasty and vindictive.

10. sheddy

sheddy Guru

If the cell network is essential for business, would it be possible to for the other network providers to share when there is an emergency ?

mustang1 likes this.
  11. slowmotion

You had a bad day. So did lots of people.
    Get over yourself.

MartinQ and dave r like this.
  12. I’m not laughing at them as I can cope with a bad day.

Andy in Germany likes this.
  13. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

That is life, shoot happens it's not a new thing.

dave r likes this.
  14. slowmotion

I'm not laughing at them either. Perhaps they should reconsider the wisdom of a business model that relies on one network, and think about building in some redundancy and robustness.

Brandane likes this.
  15. The problem here is that those most vulnerable to the effects of this are not the ones in the position to change it.

mjr, meta lon, Fab Foodie and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice