Observations Of A New Commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
Hi, I’m a new commuter, but a fairly experienced cyclist. I’ve posted an intro in 'The Welcome Mat'. After 3 months commuting experience I think I'm on my way to 'earning my wings' on the following grounds:

I've been swideswiped by a car and visited A and E as a result.

I've been beeped at numerous times because I sometimes choose not to use a cycle- lane.

I keep asking myself how do people who ride unlit bikes and wear dark clothes survive?

I want to know why pedestrians don't look before stepping into the road?

I've bought an Airzound horn and a yellow cover to go over my rucksack.

Can I join the club, or do these beginners experiences and musings pale into insignificance when compared to those of the hardened and battleworn commuters who, I assume, inhabit this forum?^_^

:welcome:

You qualify.

I haven't been to A&E, I don't use an Airzound and I have a saddle bag instead of a rucksack, but the rest matches.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Erm ... I use a rucksack with a yellow cover as well, don't use the cycle lane but haven't been to A&E yet (don't want to) on my commute into Leeds.

BTW I'm originally from West Bridgford in Nottingham!

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
i can beat you on the A & E front! ive been twice in a year, once hitting diesel and spilling (fractured wrist, and finger and dislocated finger on opposite hands) and hitting a car! cycle "ninjas" astound me too however they are the ones that dont have serious incidents so it is strange. i dont have a bag cover yet but i am lit like a christmas tree!

welcome to the commuting club!!

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
You are missing the following tales:
1) Being almost wiped out by/seeing almost wiped out: a red light jumper.
2) Extreme cold - fingers almost dropping off.
3) Getting caught out in the wrong clothes due to change of weather half way home
4) Being almost blown off your bike in strong winds
5) Tales of blasting past someone uphill whereas a few months/years ago you'd have been overtaken by them

But since I've never done the A&E thing when on a bike, I suppose I'm on the outside looking to get someone to sign me in too.

OP
OP
simon.r

simon.r

Person
To be fully accepted you have to film every inch of the trip, and post it up for analysis, then lose your temper when people suggest that your riding was a tiny bit below standard

Hmm, I have noticed that when purusing this forum^_^ I don't have a video camera yet, so I'll have to wait a while until full acceptance.

BTW I'm originally from West Bridgford in Nottingham!

I'm a bit further out in the sticks. The Melton Rd / Musters Rd junction is the exact half way point on my 11 mile trip (if I go through the centre of Nottm rather than round the ring road).

You are missing the following tales:
1) Being almost wiped out by/seeing almost wiped out: a red light jumper.
2) Extreme cold - fingers almost dropping off.
3) Getting caught out in the wrong clothes due to change of weather half way home
4) Being almost blown off your bike in strong winds
5) Tales of blasting past someone uphill whereas a few months/years ago you'd have been overtaken by them

But since I've never done the A&E thing when on a bike, I suppose I'm on the outside looking to get someone to sign me in too.

Done 3) and 4) so far. I look forward to the others!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
I've been swideswiped by a car and visited A and E as a result.
I've been beeped at numerous times because I sometimes choose not to use a cycle- lane.

I keep asking myself how do people who ride unlit bikes and wear dark clothes survive?

I want to know why pedestrians don't look before stepping into the road?

I've bought an Airzound horn and a yellow cover to go over my rucksack.

Can I join the club, or do these beginners experiences and musings pale into insignificance when compared to those of the hardened and battleworn commuters who, I assume, inhabit this forum?^_^

1. *touch wood* No, but some scraped and bumps not needing hospital attention.
2. Don't think so but I wear MP3 plugs.
3. Coz they is invisible and harder to target ;)
4. Me too.
5. No airzound and my Deuter already came with a nice yellow cover zipped into it :dance:
6. Consider yourself joined.

I'll just add a couple onto previous musings.....

Snot constantly dripping in the freezing weather.
The joy of riding home on a warm summer evening when there's a big traffic jam *smug*

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Hi and welcome.

Sounds like you were always qualified...in so much as you own and bike and choose to ride it...so, congratulations.

As far as all the other stuff is concerned, I've been riding in and out of work for a few years now and had havent had those experiences yet (not all of them) so perhaps you are just unlucky.

Keep at it, its gets easier as you get in "tune" with traffic and driver behaviour (as well as other cyclists, ped's etc) see the guide below if you want to adjust your skillset
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/revamped 3.pdf
takes a couple of mins to download

Oh and please don't get a camera (at least not as some form of qualification or acceptance) get one if you need one, use it if you want

...otherwise, just ride

Top Bottom