Observations of a one-off motorist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy 71

Took the car to work today as a one-off. After 3 days of homeworking, absolutely had to get to the office without fail to avert minor disaster. So I bit the bullet and used my car.

My observations about car driving in London.

a) Geez, it's claustrophobic. Felt really boxed in, imprisoned and isolated. Surprised I could see or hear a thing stuck inside my cage. No wonder cagers cause so many 2-wheeler and pedestrian injuries. Far more aware of my surroundings on a bike. Much prefer the wind in my hair only a bash-hat between me and the heavens. Perhaps they should make it law for motorists to drive around with their windows wound down and sunroofs fully back in all kind of weather;

;) Some pedestrians are COMPLETE AND UTTER NUMPTIES. The type I refer to are those who step right out and walk right on ahead with a second glance. Bad enough on the bike - worse when you are piloting a 1.5 tonne lump of steel. A couple of gentle toots on the horn woke them up. NOTE that I used the horn for it's intended purpose and that I didn't say aggressive incessant blast on the horn;

c) Being a cyclist, had no problems with cyclists. Call it empathy. However, there are still a few (usually trendy types) who feel that lights after dark don't apply to them - ' Hey man, I'm like WAAAAY too cule for lights'. Stupid F*****G morons. The inside of a morgue is pretty cool as well.

d) Texting/Using your mobile while driving is bloody dangerous. HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD???

e) And as you can tell by my tone, I am knackered and unhappy. THANK GOD I am back on the train tomorrow. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but come back National Express, all is forgiven!!!!!!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
why did you drive all the way in? just drive to a working train route and park up.

aka0019

ianrauk said:
Thanks for reminding me why I don't drive

+1 I haven't drove in about 3 months. Not just to work but anywhere (my car failed it's mot on a number of things and I thought sod it, i'll cycle everywhere till I can afford it!). I can't imagine being stuck in a traffic jam now, I think i'd go insane. I don't really care about getting my car fixed to be honest, i'm also saving £150 per month on petrol and insurance ;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done you mate. Forget trying to afford it. Sell it and treat yourself to a brand new wicked bike. You know it makes sense.

aka0019 said:
+1 I haven't drove in about 3 months. Not just to work but anywhere (my car failed it's mot on a number of things and I thought sod it, i'll cycle everywhere till I can afford it!). I can't imagine being stuck in a traffic jam now, I think i'd go insane. I don't really care about getting my car fixed to be honest, i'm also saving £150 per month on petrol and insurance :smile:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Did the same myself because it was MOT time for the Skud family bus,hated every moment of driving and to top it all i had my first fall in the snow in the car park after surviving everything the weather could throw at me on the bike.....is someone trying to tell me to get back on two wheels pronto ????? LOL
Back to normality tomorrow !

stowie

Legendary Member
I have to drive regularly with work, and dislike driving more with every passing year. Will use trains if I possibly can, but work supply the car, and so expect most work journeys to use it. Personal driving I have really cut down, but when I have to drive in London, I am always sitting there wondering how much quicker cycling would have been.

I do agree with the OP - driving is feels really disconnected after cycling.

Took the car to work today as a one-off. After 3 days of homeworking, absolutely had to get to the office without fail to avert minor disaster. So I bit the bullet and used my car.

My observations about car driving in London.

a) Geez, it's claustrophobic. Felt really boxed in, imprisoned and isolated. Surprised I could see or hear a thing stuck inside my cage. No wonder cagers cause so many 2-wheeler and pedestrian injuries. Far more aware of my surroundings on a bike. Much prefer the wind in my hair only a bash-hat between me and the heavens. Perhaps they should make it law for motorists to drive around with their windows wound down and sunroofs fully back in all kind of weather;

:smile: Some pedestrians are COMPLETE AND UTTER NUMPTIES. The type I refer to are those who step right out and walk right on ahead with a second glance. Bad enough on the bike - worse when you are piloting a 1.5 tonne lump of steel. A couple of gentle toots on the horn woke them up. NOTE that I used the horn for it's intended purpose and that I didn't say aggressive incessant blast on the horn;

Sadly this is true.Within the first 15 minutes of todays commute in I had had 2 peds do this tome.

c) Being a cyclist, had no problems with cyclists. Call it empathy. However, there are still a few (usually trendy types) who feel that lights after dark don't apply to them - ' Hey man, I'm like WAAAAY too cule for lights'. Stupid F*****G morons. The inside of a morgue is pretty cool as well.

Sadly true again.

d) Texting/Using your mobile while driving is bloody dangerous. HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU NEED TO BE TOLD???

I really despair of these people and how they will do it regardless of anyone else.

e) And as you can tell by my tone, I am knackered and unhappy. THANK GOD I am back on the train tomorrow. I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but come back National Express, all is forgiven!!!!!!

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
The texting thing drives me mad, you can see the glances down into the lap, probably worse than talking on the phone.

So do I. I've got two cars and a vintage van plus seven motorbikes:biggrin:

And I'm saving up to buy a classic Saab.

Driving in to Leicester would be much nicer if it wasn't for all the smug cyclists.

OP
OP
A

Andy 71

Took the train today - a much more pleasant experience. Mind you, had to sit on a bus in rush hour traffic on the way to the station. Whilst doing this, I made a number of other observations:

a) The jam seemed to be almost singularly caused by single-occupancy cars travelling a couple of miles. What a ridiculous waste of natural resources!! I just imagined to myself how much clearer and quieter it would be if everyone was on motorbikes, or better still bicycles;

:tongue: Then I thought, why don't more motorists switch to cycling? I tell you why - because 'motorists' think it unsafe on the roads due the behaviour of 'motorists'.

:ohmy: Why don't people car share? Conclusion: A degree of selfishness. I can understand personal security concerns, but if there is someone you know/trust who does exactly the same route, it makes perfect sense to share costs and driving. But why don't people do it? Because if Person A doesn't keep exactly the same hours as Person B, that creates a problem - people nowadays want to come and go as they, and only they, please and shy away from entering into sharing agreements for fear of falling out with someone.

My main thought over the last couple of days is that in some senses, motorists are the most over-indulged, least trained and most careless users of Her Majesty's public highways. This is clearly politics in action. All other groups of licence holders have it hammered into them in training to look out for cars doing or being where they shouldn't, whereas car learners only receive a fraction of the same counsel.

It's time for change folks. If we want genuine sustainable transport and safer roads, we need more consideration and higher standards - it's time that some road users need to face some uncomfortable truths.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
"Some pedestrians are COMPLETE AND UTTER NUMPTIES. The type I refer to are those who step right out and walk right on ahead with a second glance."

Had a young couple do this to me yesterday on the way home. Bloke clocked me at the very last minute as I slowed and past them: 'Sorry mate,' he said. 'S'aright,' sez I. No harm done. It is odd though - it's like some peds have an 'awareness' mode that only clicks in when there's an engine involved.

OP
OP
A

Andy 71

Hilldodger said:
And for cyclists to stop preaching and being so smug.

It's not a case of cyclists being so smug - I myself drive a car.

I would simply argue that there are few things that need addressing, but that the 'to-do list for car/van drivers is slightly larger than for other kinds of road users.

Cycling doesn't give me any moral high ground, its my personal choice after all - it just seems to make a lot more sense to me, and I think society would benefit if more people chose that mode of transport.

Top Bottom