Obtaining a helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrMonster

I'm doing my first ride shortly and I need a helmet, does anyone know anywhere where I can get a decent helmet for a good price?

I know that it'll save my life, but my budget restricts me from buying a top notch one

chap

Veteran
You should be able to get a decent one from Halfords or Evans cycles, needn't cost more than £25. Just make sure it meets EN1078.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
IMHO if money is real tight you might try the major supermarkets (Tesco, Sainsbury, Asda etc.). The larger branches all seem to sell some cycling gears and usually helmets. The ones I have seen invariably meet the UK safety standard, cost approximately a tenner, and are as adjustable for fit as those costing many times more in bike shops. The downside you must be aware of though is that supermarkets are unlikely to have different designs / sizes for you to choose from. Fit is an important issue - a helmet must firstly be of the right size and secondly fits well to be effective. This might help you choose.

Good luck!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Avoid ones that have limited adjustability - the worst ones don't have an adjustment at the back. A badly fitting helmet is pointless. Also different people have different shaped heads so you need to try them on to find one that suits your head shape (round/oval etc).

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
What Summerdays said regarding fit.

specialized do make some good ones at the lower end of their range - the Air Force 3 & Chamonix are both good lids that would come in around your budget.

adscrim

Veteran
+1 to the specialized, in addition to them being reasonably priced they don't have the same cheap look that the helmets I've seen in supermarkets have.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
One other advantage of the Spesh is that they aren't unisize - as long as the shape is ok for your head, you can get a good fitting magic hat.

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

Thanks! I'll go on Evans cycles and have a little peak at some of the Specialized helmets and see what they have to offer. Is it okay if I find one and report back here to make sure it's worthwhile buying? I have no idea what i'm looking for in a helmet except what you guys all mentioned, a tight fit.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Friend at work got one of these Helmet thingys you talk of for £5 from Tesco........

GrahamG

Guru
You're in luck - the price has absolutely no reflection on the protective qualities. It's all about weight/ventilation and feeding R&D (which is a good thing, but it sounds like you don't need to really consider this). My main helmet is a £25 bell because it's really well ventilated and fits well, I did have a £60 odd specialized but it just doesn't fit as well so is likely to offer less protection as a result. I find the best places are bike shops as they can offer good advice and show you how to adjust them properly etc. etc.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
MrMonster said:
I'm doing my first ride shortly and I need a helmet, does anyone know anywhere where I can get a decent helmet for a good price?

I know that it'll save my life, but my budget restricts me from buying a top notch one

How?? If you are on restricted budget way waste money on a hat polystyrene? :ohmy:

John the Monkey said:
What Summerdays said regarding fit.

specialized do make some good ones at the lower end of their range - the Air Force 3 & Chamonix are both good lids that would come in around your budget.

These helmets also pass the far more stringent Snell foundation testing.

If they fit this a far better investment than one that is simply EN1078 endorsed.

Top Bottom