October Peaks audax weekend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

Following my recent trip to the Peak District and it not quite going to plan I am (subject to hostel bookings) returning in the first weekend of October to do a couple of audax rides.

On 4 October longers and I shall be setting off on a 100km Perm ride from Marple.
On 5 October I shall be riding Season of Mists 100km from Hebden Bridge.

Anyone else fancy meeting up for either/both?

<longers is even going as far as joining AUK - the lure of shiny badges ;)>

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Perm ride? Glad you enjoyed your time in the peaks before.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Noodley said:
Following my recent trip to the Peak District and it not quite going to plan I am (subject to hostel bookings) returning in the first weekend of October to do a couple of audax rides.

On 4 October longers and I shall be setting off on a 100km Perm ride from Marple.
On 5 October I shall be riding Season of Mists 100km from Hebden Bridge.

Anyone else fancy meeting up for either/both?

<longers is even going as far as joining AUK - the lure of shiny badges :biggrin:>
I hope to be doing Season of Mists (a.k.a 'Spot-the-flat-bits') again this year. I'll be slow because it is very hilly** and I'm too big for the hills at the mo'. I'll try and catch you and longers at the start to say hello.

Two suggestions...
  1. Unless you are a great climber, remember to bring a decent granny gear for the 20%-25% stuff!
  2. The event starts straight up the tough climb to Heptonstall village. I'd recommend that you get to event HQ early to sign in, and then go for a nice warm-up along the A646 towards Todmorden so you don't hit that first climb with cold legs.

**Here's the profile of the route :smile:!

season_of_mists_profile.jpg

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
marinyork said:
Perm ride? Glad you enjoyed your time in the peaks before.

A perm ride is an Audax ride that can be ridden on any date of the rider's choosing as opposed to a a calendered ride which can only be ridden on the (single) date of the organiser's choosing.

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

longers said:
*bump*

Not forgotten ;)

Excellent.

I have the phone numbers for the youth hostels and shall be phoning them this week.

You joined AUK yet so you can get shiny badges?

Where does this 100k out of Marple go to then?

I was out that way today, then over Werneth Low and over towards Ashton. I ended up on a hill that was too steep to ride down and too steep to walk down. Ended up kind of slithering down.

longers

Legendary Member
Looking at the map and details it's not clear to me :biggrin: but could the ride be started and finished from anywhere along the route :ohmy:? Provided that proof of start and finish times is supplied to Mr Organiser?

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

longers said:
Looking at the map and details it's not clear to me :biggrin: but could the ride be started and finished from anywhere along the route :ohmy:? Provided that proof of start and finish times is supplied to Mr Organiser?

The alternative start/finish locations indicated on the route sheet supplied by the organiser are Whalley Bridge, Hayfield and Mottram-in-Longdendale.

That's a horrible route profile Longers - I'd be really nervous doing that, especially with someone of Noodley's audax pedigree - If only I'd started getting fit again a month ago, I'd join you :biggrin:

OP
OP
Noodley

Noodley

Crackle said:
That's a horrible route profile Longers Noodley - I'd be really nervous doing that, especially with someone of Noodley's audax Longer's youthfulness, fitness, local knowledge and recent long distance riding pedigree...

That's more like it :biggrin:

Top Bottom