Off on ice; again!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thought I would take advantage of the lack of wind and rain today, and go for a ride. Part of my route took me onto a disused private road, which used to be the access road into a power station. Must have been on a patch of black ice when I touched the front brake at about 10 mph, and the front end slipped away and I ended up bouncing off the tarmac. At least this time there are no bruised ribs or other injuries to cause a loss of earnings. Just a sore shoulder, hip and knee. Bike escaped unscathed; glad it was the tough old MTB!

Roll on the better weather (IF we get any, this year). Had my fill of wind and rain, or the only alternative which seems to be freezing cold with icy roads/paths.

Be careful out there! This really was black ice, I couldn't even see it after I came off the bike and was lying there wondering what had happened. Only when I tried to walk on it did I realise how icy it was.

soulful dog

Veteran
I was tempted to go out for the exact same reasons this morning, but I came off on some ice during the week so decided I should just stop feeling guilty about my lack of miles and wait for the better weather. Like you (this time at least) there was no real damage, but my arm/shoulder were sore for a few days afterwards and it just doesn't seem worth it. Blue skies and very little wind out there are tempting though, but I'll make do with a walk somewhere instead.

I got caught in snow and hail on thursday afternoon going to work. Was a miserable ride but kind of liked it. Toughens you up but it does wear thin though :smile:.

Anyway couldn't risk the ride home as it turned really bad and the snow lay on the ground then froze. I would have been on a NSL dual carriageway at night and mostly downhill so I cadged a lift home and only picked my bike up today.

More predicted for this week too. Wish Global warming would hurry up and kick in up here. :rolleyes:

Andy500

I feel off on black ice at 08:30am on Christmas Eve day and here we are 5 weeks later and I'm still in pain and limping from the soft tissue damage done to my hip, I still haven't been able to get on my bike!!!! It really is not worth risking it when there is a possibility of ice, wait for the better weather. I certainly learnt my lesson.

And I forgot to say, to add insult to the injury, that its also cost me £175 to repair the damage to my bike.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I went a skipping on the ice too this morning - no damage lucky enough - was actually quite funny.

Nebulous

Guru
If I wasn't prepared to go out when there is likely to be ice, I wouldn't have done many miles at all this year. I was out yesterday and use a cycle path, for about 4-5 miles to get out of town.

There is a section of it which is on a slope, through trees and water runs across it. So there's about an 80 metre section with big patches of thick ice. I've been using it to 'practice' I've tried to do much as I do in a car, go slower, no sudden movements, no acceleration, in fact I tend not to crank at all. Away from there I've had a couple of scares where I've wobbled or skidded dramatically, but managed to stay on!

I'm definitely wary - descending worries me, needing to slow down for a hazard and finding yourself on ice must be heart- stopping. Yesterday my wife had a wobble about me going out, but it was better on the road than some of my rides at Christmas.

So I suppose I have a beginners confidence - that comes from being naive and not having had a spill.

Sounds like time to try out my spangly new set of studded tyres courtesy of Jezton. I thought they would just be for snowy/icy roads but apparently you can leave them on for the whole winter and live with the clatter on clear roads. Think I'll just keep them for cold snaps though.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Just took a look outside and decided to skip the club run , everything is frozen over and i can see patches of ice all over the drive .The cold is not so much of a problem but i am not risking a major off and time off work when i just had 2 weeks off anyway .Weatherman gives a max temp of 2 this afternoon with fog so not a good day to be on the road especially when i managed a good 3 hours sleep last night .

be careful out there those who decide to ride, i shall be having a session on the exercise bike today .

Top Bottom