Off-the-peg disc-brake-ready road frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Road frame as in road bike? Or a bike to ride on the road? You'll be looking for a cross bike or tourer, few of which come equipped for discs. Although something like a Kona Dew frame might be available.

kyuss

Veteran
Shame you didn't ask this yesterday. I could have pointed you to Chain Reactions 'flood sale' where there was a Planet X Uncle John cross frame with disk mounts going for £120. Looks like it's gone now though.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I ride a voodoo limba which fits your specifications

There are a few, but they ain't that common. Cannondale, redline, trek make them too

Singular Cycles Peregrine
Trek Portland
Cotic Roadrat
The Peregrine and Cotic are both steel, but unless you are a weight weenie that shouldn't be a problem. If you want discs then you can't be really. The Portland is aluminium iirc.

There is also the Orbea Diem, which is just beautiful.....:biggrin:

EDIT - of course the Trek and the Orbea are both fully built. Are you looking for a DIY job or are you working from the premise that there aren't any ready-mades out there?

HLaB said:
I've saw a marin cyclocross that had discs.
the Toscana
Nice! :biggrin:

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
Chuffy said:
...Are you looking for a DIY job or are you working from the premise that there aren't any ready-mades out there?

Steel is preferred, as is a bare frame - off-the-peg bikes never seem to quite fit the bill, although the Salsa La Cruz is very close...

Does anybody know whether Soma frames are actually available in the UK? The distributor's website seems as dead as the proverbial.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nick, are you looking for disc brakes because you think they'd be better for winter riding? I find conventional brakes fine from about March to November, but I have to say that I'd like discs in the winter. I hate the sound of rims and brake blocks grinding away when grit-laden spray gets on them.

I used to wear out brake blocks and rims pretty quickly in mucky conditions on my first MTB which had V-brakes, but they last for ages on my replacement MTB which has Hope discs front and rear.

OP
OP
NickM

NickM

Veteran
ColinJ said:
Nick, are you looking for disc brakes because you think they'd be better for winter riding?

No - because my (otherwise excellent) Koolstop salmon brake pads cover the forks and seatstays of my commuting bike in grey crap every time it rains, so being lazy I tend to get the tube to work if dampness is forecast.

If my commuter had disc brakes (of which I have had good experiences on other bikes), I would have no choice but to ride to work in the rain, and the new bike would soon pay for itself in saved fares. Well, that's my argument, to which I am sticking xx(

Top Bottom