Oh bugger.............Fire !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oops,

Starting a potatoe off in the microwave to then shove in the oven (baked potatoe)............ forgot the timer on the microwave is playing up............. :blush:

Smoke alarm has just gone off...............opened kitchen and there is smoke everywhere.....argh...........house filled with smoke.

The potatoe is a burnt crisp........ still pouring smoke as I chucked it out of the kitchen window. :whistle:

Every window open, and the house stinks.

Guess the kids will be having Dauphinoise potatoes with us, not baked spud :wacko:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Nah - just start over. Only keep an eye on them next time.

On the plus side - you've tested your smoke alarms :smile:

Fiona N

Veteran
Commiserations :wacko:
I did something similar years ago when I wasn't too familiar with microwaves. I was staying at my sister's - she was out but had left some supper with a note to suggest I reheat the (previously frozen) bread roll. I noticed there was a small oven, looked inside and saw metal shelves so assumed it was a small thermal oven rather than a microwave and turned it up to high for 10mins. Oddly, or perhaps not, the inside of the bread roll was totally incinerated to pure carbon while the outside was almost unchanged. Sadly the smoke alarms didn't just sound in the house - it was a on private golfing estate with security guys and they turned up along with the fire service so red faces all round.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The alarms work well :wacko: - mains powered, so the one upstairs goes off too.......you should see the cats scarper...........

House stinks.......... :blush:

Need to get a new microwave - we use it occasionally (usually re-heating my tea...... :laugh: ) , and it's only a simple dial timer, but it's been playing up..never mind........ they are cheap as chips. Don't need anything fancy......

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My microwave has a Liquid Xtl display for the timer clock - it died quite early on in the cycle of use. I always start with the clear button and then press the appropriate times into memory. Trouble is I never know when it'll be ready. 2 minutes can seem an age when there is no clock to look at.

Some food got on the mica which covers the waveguide and before I knew it (I think Mrs 26x25 was in charge at the time) there was sparking and flashing going on. A hole had been burnt through. So I bought some new mica covers but the initial problem recurred. I think the microwaves are being focussed onto the mica now. So I have holes burnt thro' the new mica cover and we get flashes and sparks now and again when the focus alters a bit. Still works tho'. :biggrin:

House pong - open all the windows and doors. Put your hats and coats on first tho'.

Oops,

Starting a potatoe off in the microwave to then shove in the oven (baked potatoe)............ forgot the timer on the microwave is playing up............. :blush:
Oops indeed! Besides your incendiary moment, been having a Dan Quayle moment, have we, eh, Fossy?! :biggrin: :biggrin:

We set off the smoke alarms quite regularly when frying up in the kitchen, despite their being in a different room and some distance from the kitchen. All down to which doors are left open. But our biggest 'success' - if you can call it that - re smoke detection - was when I accidentally set fire to the compost heap in the garden, many yards from the house. The smoke drifted in through open windows and set off all the detectors. OK so there was no hazard to life, but at least they proved they were doing their job...

Need to get a new microwave - we use it occasionally (usually re-heating my tea...... :laugh: ) , and it's only a simple dial timer, but it's been playing up..never mind........ they are cheap as chips. Don't need anything fancy......
I'd disagree there: if you need to get a new one anyway, do consider stumping up the extra £££££ and going for a combi one instead. We find ours is a dream for doing jacket potatoes all in one go - plus lots of other things besides. And in the long run it'll save you fuel costs, especially if you use the main oven a lot.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Oops,

Starting a potatoe off in the microwave to then shove in the oven (baked potatoe).

Is that some northern spelling of potato or some dish we have not heard of ?:rolleyes:

Glad your are all ok of course !!

Reminds me of the time our sprog posted a music cd into the heater in the conservatory and coated the whole room with burnt, black smelly powder :tired:.I had to take the heater to bits to fish out the cd as it had shorted the element and Mrs CK spent ages getting the smell out of the furnityre.

Is that some northern spelling of potato or some dish we have not heard of ?:rolleyes:
...smell out of the furnityre.

Is that some midlands spelling of furniture or do you sit on old Michelins and eat off a pile of Dunlops?

potsy

Rambler
Is that some midlands spelling of furniture or do you sit on old Michelins and eat off a pile of Dunlops?

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh dear, people in glass houses and all that.

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 17
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh dear, people in glass houses and all that.
Well, at least I, in pointing out the same irregularity, didn't commit any spellies of my own to the forum! But perhaps my manner of phrasing it was too subtle for some forummers (*snigger*).

Hmph. Maybe the egregious Mr Quayle should have gone on the Do You Remember thread....

Attachments

• biggrin.gif
    biggrin.gif
    514 bytes · Views: 36
Well, at least I, in pointing out the same irregularity, didn't commit any spellies of my own to the forum! But perhaps my manner of phrasing it was too subtle for some forummers (*snigger*).

Hmph. Maybe the egregious Mr Quayle should have gone on the Do You Remember thread....

Dan Quayle didn't actually spell potato wrongly on the blackboard.

He told a young boy to put an "e" on after he had spelled it correctly.

D

Deleted member 1258

We've got our eldest son staying with us over Xmas, yesterday morning I went upstairs to get a wash and put some ironing away. As I was putting the ironing away I started to hear a familiar sounding noise...........then I remembered what it was and went flying downstairs. I opened the lounge door to be greeted by a very smoky ground floor, open plan, all the windows and doors open and a very embarrassed son, he had done himself some toast and had forgotten to turn the grill off. I had to take the batteries out of the smoke alarm then put them back when it had cleared.

I had to take the batteries out of the smoke alarm then put them back when it had cleared.
You shouldn't need to do that on good, modern detectors. When you press the 'mute' button the detector should disable itself from sounding further, and not re-arm until the smoke reading has fallen back to ambient levels. In our house, they emit three short beeps to signal the householder that they have re-armed.

However, very erratic 'pulses' of smoke may fool it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

Yes you got it we cant afford nice stuff here and so we have to use old car tyres to sit on so we have furnityre :rolleyes:

And i did have to sell my house due to the recession with work being scarce so we were not far off , in fact i had to live with relatives for a bit so that comment actually cuts rather close to the bone ......................

Top Bottom