Oiling chain - how often

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm going off to France for a 12 day tour of Brittany - do I need to oil my chain while I'm away?
When I'm at home I tend to wash my bikes more often than every 12 rides, so they get lubed following that. I'm not going to wash the bike while I'm away, so I'm thinking I won't need to lube the chain during that time, so I won't need to take the lube with me. Is this reasonable?

Milo

Guru
Yea as long as it dont rain a lot.

Mr Pig

Even if you do need a bit of oil there's a good chance you'd be able to find some out there, no? You tend to take a stack of stuff with you then realise that you can get most of it there!

briank

What milooat and Mr Pig said.

However, if you're worried by the prospect of venturing to furren parts without oil, a little 2 oz bottle of multi-purpose lubricant - such as is sold by Finish Line - might be worth the money.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
We usually carry a little bottle of some sort of lubricant on tour.

If it does rain heavily, you don't want to listen to your chain squealing for the rest of your holiday, but neither do you want to cart around a whole can or spend ages looking for a shop that sells little ones.

Besides the chain, it's useful for the inevitable other thing that you forgot to lube before you left but which will really annoy you when it stops working nicely in the middle of nowhere.

The alternative (if you're camping) is to use your cooking oil as a lube if necessary!

Alves

Alert: Cliched Scotsman's repsonse.
Alternatively, if you ask around at a car repair garage or look in their bins, you can usually get the dregs of motor oil from an empty oil can and use this. You only need a few drops.

Keith Oates

Janner
Being on holiday in a foreign country, probably in cycling shorts etc. and scrounging around in some dirty dustbins outside a garage is not an alternative I would consider!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dodgy

I oil my chain every ride! I simply wouldn't contemplate a 12 day tour without oiling it! I use Finish Line Krytech Lubricant, as it's a 'dry' lube that doesn't attract too much gunk. I'm also experimenting with "Finish Line Pro Road Lubricant, it makes a huge difference to the noise levels from the chain, but attracts dirt a lot more. Both of these oils come in tiny little bottles if you're tight for space.

Dave.

domtyler

Über Member
Good advice above already, but worth repeating, take a small bottle of lube with you as you will need it if it rains heavily.

dodgy

miloat said:
Bit OT but I just got a new chain fitted how long can I expect the oil it comes with to last?

It doesn't come with oil, it will have a layer of grease to prevent corrosion. You'll need to oil it on first use, if you don't, no big deal, it's not going to fall off or anything ;)

Dave.

OP
OP
S

Stick on a Giant

I've got a 2oz bottle to take with me - it was the comment about the other squeaking bits that clinched it for me. Although I'm not sure which bit of Mrs G to apply the oil to.

Hope she doesn't read this!

Top Bottom