ok guys, I need your advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Primal Scream

Get your rocks off
After many many years of very occasional cycling I am now both pyshicaly and metaphoricaly back in the saddle. I have a friend who is a mad triaphalete who on finding out I have purchased a new road bike (the first one for 40 years :eek: ) has insisted I do the Hackney to Southend ride in July.

I am a reasonably fit 61 year old gym regular.

The thing I am asking is do I have enough time to get in shape for this event, I have also noticed in a couple of mags other sooner events with 35 mile fun runs!, is it worth trying one of these.

Your advice would be very welcome.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
As Rockymountain says there is plenty of time and there is just no substitute to just getting out on your bike as often as you can or at least every weekend , when you first go out a 20 miles ride will in your mind seem a long way when you plan the route but once out on a nice morning you will eat the miles, then just to start and build up each week going a little further, the more you do 20 miles will be nothing.
Keep getting out and just enjoy riding , the bike fitness comes as a by product of enjoyment.

PK99

Legendary Member
After many many years of very occasional cycling I am now both pyshicaly and metaphoricaly back in the saddle. I have a friend who is a mad triaphalete who on finding out I have purchased a new road bike (the first one for 40 years :eek: ) has insisted I do the Hackney to Southend ride in July.

I am a reasonably fit 61 year old gym regular.

The thing I am asking is do I have enough time to get in shape for this event, I have also noticed in a couple of mags other sooner events with 35 mile fun runs!, is it worth trying one of these.

Your advice would be very welcome.

If you are a gym regular then fitness should not be an issue - but getting your arse used to hours in the saddle and the rest of the body used to the riding position for hours on end will be. Don't jump on the bike and ride for hours straight away even if fitness would allow build up gradually.

doctornige

I am also on a tablet, and not the Scottish variety. Anyhow, I am 42 and also trying to work up distance. The time of year is against me, but I am able to knock off 20 mountain miles without major fuss. I agree that there is no trick to this. The best training for any sport is doing said sport. I do 20 mins midday every day I can and then put in an hour or so every weekend. You would need to add to that with two- and three-hour weekend rides.

Top Bottom