OK, I own up.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vbc

I think it's best that I own up before the Daily Telegraph send their righteous news hounds after me.

I fiddled my expenses and benefited by several hundred pounds while working away for a period of about 4 months almost 20 years ago. I know that it was a morally abhorrent thing to do but everyone was doing it at the time and I just went along with the crowd. In the current mood of moral indignation, I trust that (like me) we shall all now be owning up to our financial wrong doings and paying back every penny of the money and benefits that we falsely claimed.

I humbly beg your forgiveness and understanding.

buggi

Bird Saviour
if the company you worked for at the time found out, you would be sacked for fraud. if it was a substantial amount, they would probably call the police in.

therefore, politicians deserve the sh!t they are getting. they should be sacked and prosecuted.

they somehow think they are better than Joe Average and are above the law.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I fiddled expenses in 1973. I claimed for the rail fare and took the coach. I think I gained seven quid.

TVC

I'm with Buggi, there is a huge difference between fiddling your expenses and 'not noticing' you'd received £13k more than you were entitled to. As was said by someone better than me "Politicians expenses should be examined by an independent body as Gordon Brown suggested - how about the Fraud Squad?"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This will be in P&L in an instant. Never fiddled any expenses as I'm an accountant - so might just lose my lively hood...... PS the folk in charge of monitoring this stuff need shooting also....all very very dodgy, not just the claimants......

Landslide

Rare Migrant
dellzeqq said:
I fiddled expenses in 1973. I claimed for the rail fare and took the coach. I think I gained seven quid.

:sad:
Adjusted for inflation, that's nearly £64!!!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I want to come clean too :sad: Back in 1990 I fiddled my expenses whilst away on a training course. On the last day I raced back from Birmingham & took my wife out for a meal & claimed the cash back :ohmy:
I aint paying it back now though

ChrisKH

Guru
fossyant said:
This will be in P&L in an instant. Never fiddled any expenses as I'm an accountant - so might just lose my lively hood...... PS the folk in charge of monitoring this stuff need shooting also....all very very dodgy, not just the claimants......

Agreed. Am currently the gatekeeper for expense claims and annual overheads totalling + £10m. There is no way I would knowingly let anyone fiddle their expenses, defraud the Revenue, etc. I have a reputation to maintain and a future earnings stream to protect. Not to mention the possible criminal penalties now levied under various Money Laundering legislation (plus the usual under the Theft Act 1968, if I have remembered it correctly. Probably been replaced now, but it's enough to keep me honest. :ohmy: ).

Honest accountants of the world unite! :sad:

gavintc

Guru
I have never fiddled either - a sacking offence in my profession. It is just not worth the risk. Having lived for over 30 years as a squeaky clean expenses claimant, it does sicken me with what seems to be 'fair game' at Westminster.

Ranger

gavintc said:
I have never fiddled either - a sacking offence in my profession. It is just not worth the risk. Having lived for over 30 years as a squeaky clean expenses claimant, it does sicken me with what seems to be 'fair game' at Westminster.

I am glad it isn't just me, I was beginning to think I was a bit odd having never tried to fiddle an expenses claim. Personally I have always worked in the public sector and am always aware of who's money I am spending to the point where I don't claim for things that I probably could.

The attitude of some (like Stephen Fry) saying well everyone does it to some extent does seem to show how different perceptions of acceptable behaviour are in different professions.

snorri

Legendary Member
The Velvet Curtain said:
I'm with Buggi, there is a huge difference between fiddling your expenses and 'not noticing' you'd received £13k more than you were entitled to.
snorri putting on his serious hat says.....
There is no difference, both are dishonest. Fiddle your expenses for a few years and you soon reach a figure of £13K;)

Top Bottom