OK so how do I get quicker...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madmac14

Following on from my earlier thread, I now have a new rear slick on 'Cruddy' my Tesco MTB. Have to admit it looks kinda odd when compared to the standard nobbly front but if it helps those wheels roll a little easier then I am all for it. Have a few days off next week so will be swapping the front as well to get that consistent look whilst adding a new seat and some half decent padded grips.

My main objective in all this cycling is to try and reduce the dependance on the car. My total journey to work is just over 11 miles or 22 as a round trip. At present I guess I am cycling once a week doing about 6+ miles or 13 as a round trip on the bike. I only average about 10-12mph so I am right in the plodder category. Ideally I would to try to get this average up a decent measure whilst shedding a good few pounds at the same time.

Oh almost forgot, I am experimenting with cadence... if this will help.

Any constructive advice appreciated... as the wife thinks I am nuts.
:smile:

fungus

Veteran
Ride lot's, do some intervals & ride some more
thumbsup.png

gbb

Legendary Member
If you're a masher (pedal a big gear), it seems counter productive at first to spin at a higher cadence, it seems like (and you probably are) going slower at first. I used to 'mash', but use a much higher cadence now...and still go just as fast as i used to, but without the potential damage to knees.

Upping your game ? i'm tempted to say the only way it'll happen is with work, and a fair bit of it. Once a week doesnt stretch you enough (IMO). I'd suggest doing it every couple of days, that'll increase your stamina and also let you rest inbetween. I say hard work...it is at first, but once you've got some mileage in, it'll seem easy.

Ultimately, its mileage that counts.

OP
OP
madmac14

madmac14

thanks for the info,

I did try the full distance once but was pretty wrecked by the time I got to work and the slog home was one to forget, with lots of pedal mashing. The half distance takes just over 35 mins which means I don't get too knackered. I will def trying to start doing this twice a week to kick off with for a few weeks and then try upping this to 3 times week. I can then perhaps try upping the distance if things go OK.

:smile:

fungus

Veteran
If you're a masher (pedal a big gear), it seems counter productive at first to spin at a higher cadence, it seems like (and you probably are) going slower at first. I used to 'mash', but use a much higher cadence now...and still go just as fast as i used to, but without the potential damage to knees.

Upping your game ? i'm tempted to say the only way it'll happen is with work, and a fair bit of it. Once a week doesnt stretch you enough (IMO). I'd suggest doing it every couple of days, that'll increase your stamina and also let you rest inbetween. I say hard work...it is at first, but once you've got some mileage in, it'll seem easy.

Ultimately, its mileage that counts.

That's a very round about way to say exactly what I did (Ride lot's & ride some more)
whistling.gif

corshamjim

Ride a few steep hills once in a while to build up strength is my advice. Most of all enjoy your cycling. After 2 years commuting I still average 12mph or so - I can't see much benefit in going any faster most of the time.

Rouge Penguin

If you loved it Jim, it would mean you could go further. I get up earlier and take a longer route, just to be riding.

peelywally

dont mix tyres , put sliks on both wheels or your bike will have handling problems .

at weekends do 20mile + stints and build up to greater distances , in no time youl be faster on shorter distances going to work ,

another way is to time yourself and aim to better it each run get to know route off by heart were to sprint were to hang back etc .

try climbs they're a great way to increase strength and stamina ,

maybe take a longer route home or a hilly route home every other day all will help you increase your efficiency ,

just regular use will do this but it will take longer than intense training to achieve the same result ,

set a target avg speed say 12mph for a mtb and try and maintain that as closely as possible for the duration of your ride

gbb

Legendary Member
That's a very round about way to say exactly what I did (Ride lot's & ride some more)
whistling.gif

:biggrin: :thumbsup: Meh, i like to elaborate a little :rolleyes: makes it more interesting surely ?
On the plus side, we're all in agreement. Nothing worse than suggesting something...to find everyone disagrees :blush:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just keep doing it. Maybe try a bit harder one day, then build up to two days a week. It's not mad, you will do it.

Then do another day. If knackered, rest. You'll soon be upto every day all weathers, you will drop a stack of weight over time, but you will also be as fit as a fiddle.

Member GB155 or Gaz is an absolute inspiration. As well as chatting on here with him, I've bumped into him on commutes and ridden with him - he's a tall chap, but is a "racing snake" now. He has done a fantastic job.

A little at a time.

Runners always say "plus 10%" which isn't bad for a beginner cyclist to do. I've been cycling since a youngster, so from what I know plus 10% is the best and works.

NorrisCole

Ride a few steep hills once in a while to build up strength is my advice. Most of all enjoy your cycling. After 2 years commuting I still average 12mph or so - I can't see much benefit in going any faster most of the time.

More time in bed? Fitter?

To the OP, have you considered a road bike?

Top Bottom