Old bike tyres - disposal of

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been doing a clear out and have sorted out all the old BSOs I have in my trailer/shed. I am planning on weighing in the seperated steel and aluminium and so I have taken the old tyres off the rims. Is there a good place to dispose of them that is not going to be bad for the environment?

One of the tubes had four punctures all repaired with parcel tape!;)

BSO's ?

A local recycling facility here is more commonly known as 'the bushes'

Local youths also used to dispose of them in an amusing game of hoopla with a lampost. Never have found out if the intention was to get it all the way over or just so it got stuck on the lamp part. A pain to clear up either way.
They seem to be more feckless now and just chuck full wheels/bso anywhere convenient, quite often aforementioned bushes.
Typical of falling cycle maintenance skills of todays youth - don't know how to get a tyre off a rim ;).

Night Train said:
So does that imply that the parcel tape was a good attempt at maintenance?;)

Can we just call it an attempt? Still better than going out and stealing someone elses wheel anyway.
I cannot fault the riding skills I see daily though from them. Riding along, one hand texting on phone, other either in pocket/ clutching a ciggie / beer can.
Today I saw a 4x4 passing mere inches away from the youth that was wobbling from the gutter to the centre of the road to turn right without so much as a backwards glance, his attention focused on picking a new track off his iPod so completely unconcerned about unfolding events around him.

As for your tyre disposal problem, have you thought about having a barbeque this weekend and inviting all the forum members round so I can burn dispose in an enviromentally friendly fashion the couple I have in the garage too? :becool:

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
Piemaster said:
Can we just call it an attempt? Still better than going out and stealing someone elses wheel anyway.
One repair with parcel tape I could understand, shows initiative. Four such repairs seems sad really.

Piemaster said:
As for your tyre disposal problem, have you thought about having a barbeque this weekend and inviting all the forum members round so I can burn dispose in an enviromentally friendly fashion the couple I have in the garage too? ;)
Not sure that I'd fancy any food off a tyre fueled barbecue.xx(

Top Bottom