old fart

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jake

just a small rant today. ride home last night and scroes upon scores of cyclists going through red lights, could not believe it.

had a cyclist doing a crazy u-turn and nearly going into me

god dam motorbikes, lost count of the close shaves last night

and to the old git who hogged my back wheel dangerously close for some of the journey, I hope someone smacks you next time! in the end when the lights changed, i just sat there and let the git pass me. If i had to swerve or slam breaks on, he wouls have been over me. he prob drives a car like that too. dangerous.

letts see what happens on the way to work at 9

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
He was probably drafting you? I don't get upset when someone sits on my wheel. After all if there's an incident they'll come off worst, you'll probably be unscathed.

People rarely bother to draft me on the 'bent - there's very little draft and I'm probably too slow anyway.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
BentMikey said:
He was probably drafting you? I don't get upset when someone sits on my wheel. After all if there's an incident they'll come off worst, you'll probably be unscathed.
Hmm. Personally, I don't like it, and I don't do it to other folk. Neither of us have any idea of each other's level of skill, and tbh, I've enough to do on a commute through Manchester without pointing out obstacles and hazards along the way too.

(Ironically, the last time someone latched onto my wheel, he was wearing kit that said "Safety Marshall" on it :biggrin: )

domtyler

Über Member
If someone drafts closely to me I generally head straight for a huge pothole and then bunny hop it leaving them to sort out their buckled wheel! :biggrin:

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:

People rarely bother to draft me on the 'bent - there's very little draft and I'm probably too slow anyway.

Drafting on urban commutes is just not worth it, IMO. Your sightlines, braking distances etc are seriously compromised if you're getting towed and, like others, I feel uncomfortable not knowing the ability of the rider who is behind me. Whilst it's less likely they'll take me down if they make a miscalculation, I don't want them to come off either, so I speed up or let them pass.

That said, there are a few guys on my commute who I will let wheel suck, but I know them.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
domtyler said:
If someone drafts closely to me I generally head straight for a huge pothole and then bunny hop it leaving them to sort out their buckled wheel! :biggrin:
We know how you like to tease Dom, but if that's true, that's the behaviour of a psycopath. You can't possibly do that and know it's only equipment that could get damaged. I don't like people drafting me either, but I would never consciously do anything to put anyone at risk of life or limb.

Origamist

Legendary Member
swee said:
Everything Dom writes should be taken cum grano salis - apart from the subject of butterfly bars which he has recently become monomaniacal about. Oh, and maybe Dynohubs too - he gets evangelical when lighting options are mentioned.

domtyler

Über Member
swee said:
People have tried to draft me in the past but they have always had to slow back down after a couple of minutes and collapse in a panting heap on the pavement. :biggrin::bicycle:

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
domtyler said:
People have tried to draft me in the past but they have always had to slow back down after a couple of minutes and collapse in a panting heap on the pavement. :bicycle::biggrin:

Oooh get you! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

made it into work - just. It is dangerous, i wouldnt do it to someone else especialy in the dark on those roads by Oval/kennington/brixton, with potholes the size of Hummvee! I guess the old fart was trying to be this tour de france proffessional cyclist, but on those roads, its just not safe. I gave him enough looks as if to say eff off my back wheel, but he still pursisted. I thought about lamping him one, but though i would just wait when the lights went green, lol. that threw him as he didnt quite know what to do.

well this mornign was, i guess, my first proper commute. Normaly come in from canning town along towpath at 10.30, so theres no cars. this morning from brixton at 9am. GOOD GOD! without sounding bad, some of those cyclists deserve to be given a little bump the way they cycle. I was just waiting for the bang for some of them. I am very surprised there are not more deaths put it that way. As for RLJ's, i've never seen so many. Not sure if YouTube will have enough space for them all lol. It is annoying and if you look across at drivers when you wait at red, they seem to respect you a bit more.

Tynan

Veteran
anyone my speed that wants to do it is welcome, not hard to make it clear you're unhappy with someone drafting surely?

and if I find someone my speed I'll happily draft them or ride alongside and chat if it's a nice day etc etc

as for light jumpers, their business but it hacks me off that they're reinforcing the drivers' prejudiced views of cyclists

I stopped at a zebra last night, the two girls waiting stepped out and then smartly back as black cab went straight through

'****ing cyclists' I said with a laugh

OP
OP
Jake

Jake

got some nice police footage this morning though. 1 car stopped all traffice while a convoy with a prison van hurtled through, sirens, lights etc, then a police range rover followed about 100yards i guess behind making sure nothing overtook, and overhead a police helicopter was following. not sure what big trials are on, but when past old baily and didnt see much happening there.

RLJs i guess it is upto them, and i did use to do it thining i was cool and clever. now i wait at them. it does get a little bit on my tits, but hey-ho

Top Bottom